Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
tmrobinson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
3rd try......nb vs. small

I posted this question in both sections of diaper chatter and no replies.

So far I have about 20 nb fitteds and 6 aio's and I plan on ordering 2 dozen pf's. Is it time to start working on my smalls or should I just wait? I know everyone says they don't wear nb's for long but dd was in sposies for 3 months (didn't start cloth until 10 months). I got one small Nana Bottoms aio today and it fits dd so if I start collecting some smalls dd can share them for now. I am sure I will end up getting a few more fitteds here and there (I just can't resist) but should I start on the smalls or wait until the baby is here and needs that size?

Advertisement

tmrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
JollyHolly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3rd try......nb vs. small

I *personally* have been buying equal numbers of both diapers. Since different brands vary slightly in sizing, I dont want to have only like 4 diapers that still fit all of a sudden and be scrambling for something to put on his bottom!! If it were me I'd at least buy a few, or PF's or something in case of backup. The baby could always be bigger than your other babes and be like 10 lbs!
Old 08-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My personal is it's all about personal preference and your $$ situation. My DD was born larger than average and she was still in nb size for several weeks. I didn't have ton of nb fitteds so they got used first after every wash and then I put smalls on her. I HATED how she swam in the smalls but they did function as a diaper should.

If you don't mind the bulky look and/or are tight on $, you can get by on smalls.

If, however, you've got the means to buy the nb diapers and/or it will bug you that your babe's diapers are not in proportion to him/her - I say buy the nb size to your heart's content. You won't regret it.

I fully intend to infuse my stash with many more nb organic Sandy's fitteds since they were my fave for the nb stage.
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
xxMommato2xx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyHolly View Post
I *personally* have been buying equal numbers of both diapers. Since different brands vary slightly in sizing, I dont want to have only like 4 diapers that still fit all of a sudden and be scrambling for something to put on his bottom!! If it were me I'd at least buy a few, or PF's or something in case of backup. The baby could always be bigger than your other babes and be like 10 lbs!

i agree here. I have an equal ammount of preemie, NB, and smalls. although I may never need the preemie PFs but my last two were small and wore preemie clothes and everything for the first month.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
akrancher
Registered Users
seller

i would start getting smalls. DS was 7'11 at birth and we started with smalls when he was a week old. Yes, he was swimming in them, but we used pockets and stuffed them like crazy so they would fit. Once I learned which brand fit the best, I bought that kind. My point is, until you have the babe and know what brand fits the best, don't buy all of one kind. You could end up with a bad fit.
This time I have gotten some nb Sandy's and will get probably 6-8 xs pockets. Other than that, I really don't want to spend much on nb since it is such a sort time. I don't mind washing everyday if we have to.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
tmrobinson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrancher View Post
i would start getting smalls. DS was 7'11 at birth and we started with smalls when he was a week old. Yes, he was swimming in them, but we used pockets and stuffed them like crazy so they would fit. Once I learned which brand fit the best, I bought that kind. My point is, until you have the babe and know what brand fits the best, don't buy all of one kind. You could end up with a bad fit.
This time I have gotten some nb Sandy's and will get probably 6-8 xs pockets. Other than that, I really don't want to spend much on nb since it is such a sort time. I don't mind washing everyday if we have to.
Oh I have more than one kind......more like 7-8 not including pf's and covers.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
rmduer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I still have not bought any diapers for this little one. I was wondering how many actually ended up using the nb sizes
rmduer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
MCmom3
Registered Users
seller

I'm making most of mine (and hoping that I will love the fit) so I'm making sure I have plenty of NB and Small. I have made a few medium even, but will work on that more later. If you can afford to start getting both, I would just to be safe. Of course this is the first baby that I've clothed diapered since this is baby #1. Like a pp said though, I'd hate to have only one size and then suddenly have very few diapers that fit - that's when the mail would take FOREVER!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
tmrobinson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I guess I will start my small collection now too then since dd can still fit in most of them I will get some use out of them now too before she grows anymore.