Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #21
lakerhart
Registered Users
seller

Re: Diaper Stink/Diaper Stripping Remedies

I was having an issue getting the poop smell out of my pockets after trying baking soda, dawn, lemon juice and vinegar and super hot washes I figured it out! It takes three washes though.

Wash once in cold with nothing
Wash again on hot with extra soak with a little bit of purex free and clear, a half full ( past the fill line! less didn't help much) downy ball of vinegar and a squirt of dawn
Wash again on hot with extra soak with nothing

It worked!!!

Advertisement

lakerhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:46 AM   #22
misty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i put a capful of calgon in every load. it has made a world of difference. if they start to get stinky from detergent or whatever, i wash them in the detergent on hot once and then again with a little dawn (maybe every 4-6 weeks). does the trick! make sure you rinse it all out.
serving my #1-Jesus Christ; helper, lover, friend to eric and blessed to be a sahm (though working 24/7) to ella gracie (03/05/03) and abigail ann (02/04/07) and levi david (8/16/10).
misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #23
Kita
Registered Users
seller

If you've tried what seems to be like everything for stink, and you're still having issues (esp. with an HE machine), try a wetpail!

I use oxyclean in the wetpail. Several others have mentioned that they use EOs in their wetpails. Works for me!
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #24
Mom2Damon
Registered Users

My Mood:

The method I use to strip depends on what I think is causing the stink.

For build up on the dipes I strip in the dishwasher. (I RARELY do this though.)

For not-quite-clean stinkies I will do a full wash and then do a 24 hour soak with Dawn and some bleach and Calgon. Part of the key to this working for me is taking the dipes out of the washer while it's filling. (I have a TL). The next day I let the wash cycle finish and do another cycle with nothing in it with a hot wash/cold rinse.

If I have one or two dipes/inserts that stink I soak those in vinegar/water overnight.

If most inserts stink I bleach them.

My regular wash routine:
1. Cold pre-rinse
2. Hot Wash/Cold Rinse with Synthropal (usually) or Dawn (sometimes) and Calgon. I also take the dipes out of the washer while it's filling.
3. Another cycle with nothing added.
Mom2Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #25
mama z
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
If you've tried what seems to be like everything for stink, and you're still having issues (esp. with an HE machine), try a wetpail!

I use oxyclean in the wetpail. Several others have mentioned that they use EOs in their wetpails. Works for me!
EXACTLY! I have tried everything in my FL and nothing worked.
The wet pail is a miracle worker. I have used Baby OxiClean which worked great but am now using Bac Out in there. And I also started making my own detergent (check out the thread in the Green Families forum on DS) using Washing Soda, Borax and OxiClean. Dirt cheap and works great.

My method is to wet pail with Bac Out. I dump out the soaking water and then dump all the dipes/doublers into the FL. I spin, then rinse on cold and then do a Hot/Cold heavy soil, stain cycle, extra rinse, max extract cycle (I think it's 82 minutes). I use the delicates setting because someone mentioned it uses the most water. I can't vouch for that but I figure it can't hurt. Oh, and if I need to wash any covers I don't add them until the long hot wash to make sure they aren't mixing with the poopy dipes before they've been rinsed out.

I don't do any post rinses. I do a combo of line-drying and machine drying. For the first time ever we have NO stink. No morning stink and no daytime stink. I'm seriously floored by how fabulous the wet pail works!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #26
punkin pie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

great ideas!!! We've only been cd'ing for about a month now and I'm noticing that there is a bit of ammonia smell to the dipes after washing and sun-drying. Maybe i'm not using enough detergent???

We have a Front Load, so i'm not sure what to do since i can't open up the wash 1/2 way through to add something. Anyone else with a front load that adds something to the wash?? i've heard it will ruin the washer... no???

I bought a small thing of OxyClean Baby.... should I soak the dipes in that? or do i add that to the wash??

Any help is appreciated!

Working Mom to a Girl (2.5) and Boy (1)
punkin pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:05 AM   #27
kitscha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm of the opinion that most stink problems result from diapers that aren't clean enough, rather than diapers that need residues stripped out of them. Not that the latter doesn't happen - just that I think it's more rare.

I think of it this way: if you pulled your clothes out of the washing machine and found they were still smelly, you wouldn't boil them, or put them in the dishwasher, or put them through again with no detergent, or wash them with dish liquid - you'd just run them through a nice hot cycle again with a generous helping of detergent, then perhaps get them in the sun to air out. And we're dealing with human waste here, not whiffy shirts - so I figure the same applies, but even more so.

Of course there is merit in many methods - and if what you're doing works for you, keep doing it! - but my keep-it-simple stink solution (for my top loader - adjustments would be needed for front loaders) is to:

- do a short COLD cycle with 1/4 cup of bleach. Dilute it in the water before adding diapers, and if you want to soak the load briefly before beginning the cycle, that's fine. Depending how big your machine is, what type and how many dipes you are dealing with, you might be able to increase the bleach to 1/3 cup or more.

- do a regular HOT cycle with the FULL amount of DETERGENT (not a teaspoon-full, not Dawn, but an actual detergent of your choice).

- do one or two extra rinses - however many you need to feel comfortable that things are rinsed out.

- after or during the drying process, if geography and weather permits, get the dipes hanging in direct sunshine for a while.

Hope this helps someone!
kitscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #28
bleeglaser
Registered Users

Bleach?!

I'm surprised to see so many of you suggesting bleach when it is not a product to use with a baby, or even with yourself for that matter. Just Google bleach+carcinogen. Bleach is harmful for you and if you don't get it out of your diapers and machine it's harmful for your baby and family. There are other alternatives that have been mentioned in this thread that are healthier options. We use Charlie's Soap on our diapers and are searching for something to help with our hard water, which is what is causing our ammonia smell.

Last edited by bleeglaser; 08-27-2008 at 02:20 PM.
bleeglaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #29
bethaniemiller
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel that my dipes smell pretty darn good and I really do not do anything too special...

Run a COLD pre-wash/soak with 3-5 drops of tea tree oil.
Run a HOT wash with 1/4 c. free and clear detergent
Run a COLD rinse.
Run an additional COLD rinse with 2-3 drops of tea tree oil.

I sun my dipes after every wash spring-fall and then air dry in the house in the winter.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:06 PM   #30
superfastreader
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been battling a wet dog smell in some of my diapers.

I think I have it figured out:
1 cold rinse
1 hot wash w/full amount of Purex F&C + 1/2 scoop of OxiClean
3 cold rinses, with vinegar in the first rinse.

I came up with this formulation after crazy crazy stripping.

I started spraying things with Bac-Out, too. We have hard water.

Last edited by superfastreader; 09-21-2008 at 06:13 AM.
superfastreader is offline   Reply With Quote