Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-06-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
somersocial
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pumping? Is it me or the pump?

With dd #1 I had to pump as she was a NICU baby and endured heart surgery...then I was working on my Master's degree full time and pumped several times a day for a YEAR with no problems!

Now with dd #2 - I have been a SAHM - and have had no reason to be away from her, so I have not done any pumping. Well now that she is 7 months old - I want to "let" (lol) someone else feed her! I have some functions coming up and I have been trying for three weeks to get some milk pumped - with no luck. I can't get more than a 1/2 ounce at a time and that is after 15 minutes of messing with both sides.

Sorry so long... dh says I am too detailed....

Any suggestions?

I have a Medela PIS - the same one I used for dd #1. I have even tried pumping while she is nursing and its not working. The pump "sounds" the same.

Advertisement

somersocial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pumping? Is it me or the pump?

First off, you have to make sure you are having letdown because if you aren't...that would explain it all. Secondly, I have nursed 2 babies and at the end of 6 months with the first, my pump burned out. Bought a second one when DD#2 was born, and at around 8 months post the motor really slowed and even on the highest setting it's really hard to get anything out. It doesn't bother me really because I was only pumping for stimulation...but it does suck that it burnt out a bit.

Maybe one of those are the issue? Beyond that I don't know, after 3 weeks you should be producing enough.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
sammy21901
Registered Users
seller

Have you replaced the white membranes? They might be worn out. Other than that, the pump should be fine.

I agree with the pp, are you sure you're having letdowns? Warm compresses and some compression should help. I was going to suggest pumping while she nurses, but I see you've tried that. Maybe you could try to stimulate some oversupply (take fenugreek, that sort of stuff) in addition to some extra pumping sessions during the day. Pumping at consistent times should help too.

Good luck!
sammy21901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:29 PM   #4
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy21901 View Post
Have you replaced the white membranes? They might be worn out. Other than that, the pump should be fine.

Also, I've heard of people having to replace the yellow "valve" that the membranes snap onto. Otherwise, make sure that everything is connected tightly, but it sounds like you've tried this a few times so that's probably not the problem.

What time of day are you pumping? I know that when I pump in the afternoon or at night I have to work to get more that 3/4 oz per side (breast compressions, etc.) and that can take up to 1/2 hour!

But...if I pump in the morning just after Harrison's morning feeding (I do one side at a time so he gets the hindmilk) I can get 4 oz per side without any work, and it only takes 5-10 minutes!

I hope you find something that works...best of luck!

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:50 AM   #5
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One thing I did when I was pumping, and like you not getting much- was to nurse my ds on only one side all night so in the morning the other side was FULL. Then I could get 4 oz sometimes even more on just that side. That is all that worked for me.
turtle2who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2who View Post
One thing I did when I was pumping, and like you not getting much- was to nurse my ds on only one side all night so in the morning the other side was FULL. Then I could get 4 oz sometimes even more on just that side. That is all that worked for me.
That's a good idea. I might try that because I know dd doesn't "need" to nurse at night, she just does it to go back to sleep...then in the morn I could really pump.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
somersocial
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2who View Post
I will try this tonight! Great idea! I also bought some new membranes tonight and will try those also! Thanks for the great suggestions mamas!

Niccole
somersocial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:02 PM   #8
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by somersocial View Post
I have a Medela PIS - the same one I used for dd #1. I have even tried pumping while she is nursing and its not working. The pump "sounds" the same.
I had a PIS and I hated it- I had a hard time getting one letdown, much less multiple. When I switched to an Avent Isis IQ Duo, I was able to get 3-4 letdowns in 25ish minutes, about 8 oz per side!
Pumping took me a while to get used to, but the avent was much better b/c I could "set" the suction to imitate my baby's sucking rhythm.

Good luck!

oh yeah- you have to relax too. If you're too stressed out or too busy thinking about the pump and what it is supposed to be doing, you won't get as much! At least that's how it was for me. Once I started reading a book or something while pumping, and was thinking about something else, I was able to pump a lot more.

Last edited by Mom2Natalya; 11-11-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Mom2Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok I have noticed the same thing recently....I am a sahm as well so I pretty much always nurse, but I would pump when I was engorged or to take a bottle to church for the nursery. And I could get 4-6 oz but that was usually if I woke up in the morning and pumped right away or if I missed a feeding say after church, then I would pump and replace the milk I used that day. Now even if I do the same thing, I am lucky to get an oz! I have 2 manual pumps, one medela harmony and one avent isis. (a little other info, I always feed from one side and alternate so like in the morning I would have another full breast that I could pump, also my son is 7 months old right now)

I think that it's a few things, one our milk production has changed in the way that it is produced, it is more of an on demand type thing I think...becuase I don't feel full really until my son starts nursing, then all of a sudden my boobs feel more full. And my milk has regulated itself to his schedule, baiscally it knows when he's going to be hungry because he sooo regular, like clockwork. So until that time, I really am not very full. But I KNOW there is plenty of milk in there, he eats fine, and I can push on my boob and milk SHOOTS out! LOL

But the Biggest thing is, as the get older they are more efficicient nursers, my son went from a slow and steady 45 minutes every 2.5 hours to now 10-15 min every 3-4 hrs. I think the pump just can not compete with the power the baby now has to nurse, and our breasts have become used to it. And the moms that have consistently pumped their whole bfing time, their breasts are "USED" to the pump.

I don't know, I could be TOTALLY wrong here...but this is just what I "think" it is based on my experience and trying to figure it out.
e_mom_e is offline   Reply With Quote