Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
kaleo40
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Potty training while out

DD is now completely potty trained, both day and night, as long as we are at home. I used m&m's as rewards to get her started, but she is pretty much weaned off of that now. However I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to get her to go potty while we are out and about. I think one problem is that I'm more nervous about this than I was at home. I didn't care if I had to clean pee off my own floor, but I really hate if she has an accident on someone else's floor, or a store's floor. I ask her every so often while we are out if she needs to go potty, and she tells me no, then sometimes almost immediately has an accident. Occasionally she will ask to go to the potty, but then will just sit there and won't do anything. She basically potty trained herself for at home, all I did was provide incentive with the m&ms, and she took it from there. So how do I get this pottying thing to continue outside of the house? Any tips, tricks or ideas?

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty training while out

maybe m&ms while your out? We just stopped at the potty when we got somewhere, left somewhere, and if they ever said they needed to. Sometimes they would go, sometimes not but we never had an accident. My kiddos love public restrooms for some reason...ick! lol!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #3
morganandevansmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried bringing your own potty and keeping in the car. (might not work if you have a small car) but we bring a potty chair and DS will use it in the van. He thinks its fun LOL
Old 08-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
kristini2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

when dd2 was first learning, i used to just take her to the potty almost immediately upon going anywhere. i didn't ask her if she had to go, i just took her and asked her to sit and try. she didn't always go, but usually did, and eventually, i didn't need to offer the potty to her anymore as she got better about knowing and telling me when she had to go even while out and about.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Auravik
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristini2 View Post
when dd2 was first learning, i used to just take her to the potty almost immediately upon going anywhere. i didn't ask her if she had to go, i just took her and asked her to sit and try. she didn't always go, but usually did, and eventually, i didn't need to offer the potty to her anymore as she got better about knowing and telling me when she had to go even while out and about.

If I asked dd, she'd say she didn't have to go. If I just took her & had her try, she generally did.