Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Arkaidy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
14 m. old PLing????

So, I have a 14 month old daughter. She is extremely bright and developmentally at a 2 year old level, maybe even older.

For a long time she has been squatting to poop and pee. For the last month, whenever her diaper is wet, she pulls it off, and today ....

I look over to see her butt neki squatting in the next room taking a poop (I tried to get a pic but she got up, lol.)

In any case, this is my first baby but I would assume 14 months is really early to PL, but at the same time, are these signs I need to take some sort of action with her??

Advertisement

Veggie lovin', cloth diapering, semi-vaxing, babywearin', co-sleeping, extended bfing, extended rear-facing, non spanking, no CIO EVER kinda family with lot's of fuzzy luvies.
And expecting #2!! ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35** **40
Arkaidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 14 m. old PLing????

My DD is the same way about a month ago, she was about 14 months, she started letting us know when she had to go potty. We got a little potty and she is working on it. We are not pushing her but we do ask her if she has to go potty, if she does she will usually go into the bathroom.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
Arkaidy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm assuming having the potty in the bathroom is a good idea then, as opposed to in another room?

How do you keep your babe from touching yucky parts of the toilet?

The bathroom is the only room in the house that is gated off, cause I'm a germaphobe and can't stand the idea of her patting the underside of the toilet seat, or worse, licking it, eeewwww.

Lol.

Veggie lovin', cloth diapering, semi-vaxing, babywearin', co-sleeping, extended bfing, extended rear-facing, non spanking, no CIO EVER kinda family with lot's of fuzzy luvies.
And expecting #2!! ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35** **40
Arkaidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
kristini2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You don't have to keep a little potty in the bathroom. If you clean it thouroughly you can keep it in whatever room. When I take DD3 -- another 13-month old who tells me when she has a dirty diaper and is dabbling at pottying -- in the bathroom, I carry her in, put her on the toilet and when she's done I take her back out so there's not a lot of chance to lick anything. Good luck taking advantage of that "window of opportunity"!!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
betty14
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaidy View Post
In any case, this is my first baby but I would assume 14 months is really early to PL, but at the same time, are these signs I need to take some sort of action with her??
Absolutely, she's ready! Consider this as learning any other skill. To walk, first she had to roll, then crawl, then stand, then cruise....
To PL, she's showing you the signs! Start to place her on the potty after she wakes, at every diaper change, and before bath, and 30 minutes or so after drinking. If and when she pees, help her learn what she's doing "psssss", and go from there. You may be amazed. Did you know that most kids were PL'd at about 18 months old in the 1950's? Starting now may help you achieve PL by 18 or 20 months, and if not, at least you're starting on a positive learning curve when DS is still eager to please, and not in the defiant two's. Remember to keep it fun and low-stress!
Good luck!
betty14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
iris777888
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our son started signing to us he was wet at 14 months, then quickly moved to signing it right before he went. We decided it was time to take action and got a seat that goes on our toilet. Now at 17 months he goes in the morning and after naps, and will sometimes tell us at other times he has to go too. Next step, the reason I'm on here tonight, is looking for training pants!

I also felt like it was early, but the reading I've done says compared to other countries and what used to happen in the US, it's not. Kids in cloth will figure it out sooner because they feel the wet sensation better than kids in disposables. It's only recently than kids in 3, 4 or even older are still in diapers!