Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
kristy29
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Having a meeting with an adoption agency

So we did the fostering thing, but it really tore us up when we had to give the baby back. We had her from when she was 6 weeks old until the day before her first birthday. She has been gone over 2 weeks and we still think about her daily and miss her terribly.

So I went on adoption.com and found an agency in PA. We are having a meeting with the owner of the agency sometime this month. It costs us $450 just to have this meeting and so I know that by agreeing to this DH is serious about it. Before we did the fostering he kept saying he didn't want to adopt because he couldn't see himself loving someone else's baby. Having S in our lives proved to him that he could.

I am very excited. According to this agency, their average wait time is 3-9 months, and they currently have more babies than they do adoptive homes, especially for minority babies and our first choice for a baby is actually a hispanic baby, so I feel like we have a really good chance of not waiting too long.

The only problem I foresee is that I am a diabetic obese person, so my health problems might cause a road block. I am afraid that they won't approve me because of that, or even if the agency accepts us as clients, the birth moms might not choose us because of that.

I am not at home right now, but I plan on joining curves as soon as we get home and starting to watch what I eat and take my pills. hopefully if I can prove that I am at least trying to be more healthy that will weigh in my favor.

So, I guess this is the beginning of a very exciting journey for us. I am nervous and excited and don't know what to think.

For those of you that did private adoptions, how did you finance it? I know we will get back some money from the government, but we still need to put it all up front. We will get $2000 from dh's company, but it could cost up to $25,000. DH wants to ask his parents for a loan, but we have already borrowed so much money from them that I don't want to ask. Do they have loans just for people adopting? I am thinking about getting a job and putting it all straight into savings, but what else can we do to raise money?

Advertisement

kristy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
JenS
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Having a meeting with an adoption agency

I can't speak too much to the requirements for domestic, but I know there are many adoption loans out there. Many interest free for a period of time.
There are also grants you can apply for once you have a completed homestudy.

How exciting for you!!!! Good luck.
JenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:20 AM   #3
tink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That sure seems like alot of money up front for an agency to request! Please check around first!! You do not have to have an in state agency. I imagine since you already have your homestudy done, it would just need an update by a local agency but you can easily take it to another agency. Unless the money is for the application and some fees I would sure think twice! And frankly, I rarely hear of an agency that has more birthmoms than pre-adoptive homes. Sounds kinda fishy.
tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Actually, the 450 fee sounds pretty reasonable for the area. I am over in NJ and most of the agencies here charge that as a non refundable application fee. My agency requires that you put down 18K before the homestudy is complete and the final 7K the day the baby is placed. I am using the same agency again this go around too. I only saved about 300 dollars by getting an updated homestudy instead of just having one done. Not sure about the agency having more birthmoms than adoptive homes. My agency has a brief wait for AA babies but a 20 month wait for Caucasian.

Last edited by Kimmyann; 08-15-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
sunshinek
Registered Users
seller

Hi there. I was also a little bit worried about you having to pay a fee for an info session but then I remembered that our agency also charged a fee IF you didn't sign with them. Just please make sure you check around and make sure it's a reputable agency before you pay that money.

There are a lot of adoption grants/loans that I found online. Just search for it.

I don't know about how agencies treat certain medical conditions. I can tell you that a birthmother will choose you for who you are because it fits them. I knew a girl who was afraid a birthmother wouldn't choose her family b/c they had 2 pitbulls. They got matched right away by a birthmother who grew up with pitbulls. I could go on and on and on and on but you get my point!

Good luck!
My Blog
sunshinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #6
mom55
Registered Users

My Mood:

The money thing is always a big hurdle, but it can be overcome. We had a family that we knew quite well whose friends had a baby "shower" to help raise the funds to adopt their child. It made a huge dent in their adoption expenses.
mom55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #7
melody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Where are you in PA? I am also here in PA near Philadelphia. I spoke to a wonderful attorney for at least 30 minutes on the phone that handles private domestic adoptions for multi-racial babies. I have also had great experiences speaking with SWAN for advice. We are actually scheduled to meet with an agency on Monday to start our process & we have not been asked for any money yet. PM if you want to discuss more details on agencies & such...

best of luck to your mama!

wool for sale longies, soakers, & shorties-all $10 ppd
melody is offline   Reply With Quote