Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-09-2006, 06:59 PM   #11
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

Re: How to get yeast off of bras??

hot water and vinegar.

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2006, 07:06 PM   #12
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

after washing put them in the sun to dry.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #13
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
Thanks guys for the advice.....I know it isn't easy to get rid of it we have been figthing this freakin stuff for a year on and off. It isn't really painful to me (not bad) but just so annoying and I am kind of at my wits end.

Anyone ever tried probitotics??

I pretty much agree with everyone here on the advice, although if none of that works then the bleach for sure will, but I can see why you would want to hold off on it though especially for your delicate bras. But bleach kills everything.

as for probiotics....those are basically just cultures that work in the INTESTINES, they don't do anything for the rest of your body. They just help promote a healthy enviroment in your tummy. I did a lot of reading on them just recently.
e_mom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:01 PM   #14
elizablessed
Registered Users
seller

We really struggled with this for months also. My MW told me to iron my bras because the water in the washer does not get hot enough. What finally helped was taking probiotics acidophilus and saccharomyces boulardii. I put babyacidophilus directly on ds tongue. I also eliminated all sources of sugar and cut way back on carbohydrates. I ate very little fruit. The key is changing your diet because the yeast live off sugar and they will make you crave sugar. I know that seems bizarro, but if you really start understanding this it makes sense. The probiotics are essential also because unless you correct the balance of flora in your intestines the yeast will continue to take over. Hang in there and don't give up. I was so worried about this for a long time, but eventually we won the battle.

so wabi sabithreading light
elizablessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #15
ginko
Registered Users

Someone already mentioned GSE ( Grapefruit Seed Extract, not to be confused with Grapeseed Extract). I think this would be least damaging to your clothing. Unfortunately studies have not been done to determine whether it can be safely taken INTERNALLY by pregnant or nursing mothers, though others can take it. Generally, GSE is wonderful for clearing up internal/external yeast infections.

Here are some "recipes" which may help, taken from "The Healing Power of Grapefruit Seed" listed below. These assume use of Nutribiotics brand Grapefruit Seed Extract, or similar, which contains 33% Citricidal (pure extract) and 67% vegetable glycerin. Other brands are available in differing concentrations, so read the label before use and adjust accordingly. (I do not sell GSE, just have an interest in it, use it and have read the first two books listed below.)

Major cautions:
Never use full strength from bottle, unless directed. Do not use in eyes. If taking internally, be careful to start and increase amount of GSE gradually to prevent a toxic pathogen dieback (Herxheimer's reaction). If allergic to citrus fruits, start with 1 drop in a glass of water and slowly increase in accordance to your reaction.:

Laundry - To disinfect and control mold and odors, add 20-30 drops to each load in the final rinse (or fabric softener dispenser). (You could also soak your bras/nursing pads in a concentrated solution.)

Disinfectant spray and all purpose cleaner
1-1.25 drops per oz. of water. Use distilled water if you want to prevent water spots.

Antibacterial, antifungal soap
10-20 drops in 3.5 oz. (100 ml) of liquid soap, shower gel, shampoo, etc. [Note: Tests show that GSE (at 100 PPM) was 100% effective in emergency field skin prepping versus 72% for alcohol. Also at this concentration it was found to be 100% effective in presurgical 1 minute scrubs versus 98% for commercially available surgical soap.]

Vaginal rinse (I would think this could be used on the breasts too if thoroughly rinsed off.)
5-10 drops in 6-8 oz. of water. Once daily for one week. More often if desired. A study was done in twenty women with chronic yeast infections. They douched with 5 drops GSE in 8 oz. of water every twelve hours for three days. Fifteen were healed. Four more were were cured after three more days, and the last woman was cured after nine days when it was discovered that her spouse too was infected (and thereafter treated).

Diaper rash - Put 10 drops in 2 Tablespoons (2 oz.) oil and gently rub it into skin. Exposing skin to air is helpful as well. Add 20 drops to last rinse of wash cycle to disinfect cloth diapers. As a preventive, use between 1-5 drops per oz. of water. Put the solution in a spray bottle and mist the affected area. Start with a weak solution. If the problem is not resolved in 5-7 days, increase the strength of the solution. Be careful not to get the mist in the baby's eyes.

Candida and other yeasts
( For the benefit of others reading this-- GSE IS NOT TO BE TAKEN INTERNALLY BY PREGNANT OR NURSING MOTHERS!)
3-9 drops once daily in a glass of water (6 fl. oz.). 2nd week 3-9 drops twice daily in a glass of water. 3rd week, 3-9 drops three times daily in a glass of water. The gradual increase in dosage is particularly important in treating Candida since strong toxins are released when the fungi die (Herxheimer’s syndrome). This dose can be changed if the patient does not show any Herxheimer’s reaction (fatigue, feeling of discomfort, etc.). Treatment can be continued for 1 - 3 months or longer, according to the extent and intensity of the disease. (And, amazingly, GSE doesn't kill off the "good bacteria" or probiotics that reside in your intestinal tract. It somehow filters out the bad from the good.)

Two books have been written: The Authoritative Guide to Grapefruit Seed Extract by Dr. Allan Sachs and The Healing Power of Grapefruit Seed by Shalila Sharamon and Bodo J. Baginski. It has also been mentioned in various books including The Yeast Connection and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and the Yeast Connection by William Crook, M.D., Beyond Antibiotics: Healthier Options for Families by Luc De Scheper, M.D., and Healing with Whole Foods by Paul Pitchford.

I wish you success!

-Dawn

Last edited by ginko; 11-12-2006 at 03:44 PM.
ginko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:10 PM   #16
elizablessed
Registered Users
seller

I know a lot of folks swear by GSE,even its internal use, for yeast infections, and I used to use it too. However, I recently read some very disturbing articles related to the way it is made. Most of the antimicrobial properties seem to be due to the synthetic chemicals used to make the extraction and preserve it. Benzethonium chloride is one. It is a synthetic chemical added to cleaners like lysol. Just something to be aware of because it is not as natural as it sounds.

Here is a link to a wikipedia article related to it.

so wabi sabithreading light

Last edited by elizablessed; 11-12-2006 at 05:31 PM. Reason: clarification
elizablessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:07 PM   #17
ginko
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizablessed View Post
I know a lot of folks swear by GSE,even its internal use, for yeast infections, and I used to use it too. However, I recently read some very disturbing articles related to the way it is made. Most of the antimicrobial properties seem to be due to the synthetic chemicals used to make the extraction and preserve it. Benzethonium chloride is one. It is a synthetic chemical added to cleaners like lysol. Just something to be aware of because it is not as natural as it sounds.

Here is a link to a wikipedia article related to it.
Hmm, thank you elizablessed, this is the first I've heard of this. Definitely bears more investigation. However, it's important to note that according to the Wikipedia web site: "The content of Wikipedia is free, and is written collaboratively by people from all around the world. This Web site is a wiki, which means that anyone with access to an Internet-connected computer can edit, correct, or improve information throughout the encyclopedia, simply by clicking the edit this page link (with a few minor exceptions, such as protected articles and the main page)."
ginko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #18
my*scorpio
Registered Users
seller

Here's something suggested to me by my local LLL leader. It helped us to clear up a stubborn 4-month run of thrush using grapefruit seed extract:

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp
my*scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote