Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #21
Miles's Avatar
Miles
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: upstate ny
Posts: 6,302
My Mood:
Re: *VENT*WHY do people feel its okay to try and cover a nursing mom?!

I would talk to the manger because we have the right to NIP weather you have something covering or not. The manger should know about what happened, not get a refund but at least make a comment about it. This way the manger can talk to the lady about it and it wont happen again.

Advertisement

__________________
Magan for 11 yrs(11-18-00), SAHM to three girls(Cheyenne, Dakota and Marissa) Enjoying being a non co sleeping, baby wearing, Vaccinating, mama!
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #22
kristenkan52's Avatar
kristenkan52
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 319
Re: *VENT*WHY do people feel its okay to try and cover a nursing mom?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2nine View Post
You need a shirt that says "If my breastfeeding in public offends you, please feel free to put a blanket over YOUR head!!!"
The only problem with that is that when you are actually BFing the shirt is all bunched up so you can't read it! LOL
__________________
Kristen
Mama to Wesley who was cloth diapered from day 1!
kristenkan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #23
Ladybugsjoy's Avatar
Ladybugsjoy
Registered Users
Formerly: u****ride
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 6,593
My Mood:
Re: *VENT*WHY do people feel its okay to try and cover a nursing mom?!

If that person is play with sticking a foot towel over a babies head then what else are they not doing? I am a licensed massage therapist and have worked in day spas that have nail services. Massage towels, hand towels, foot towels, tanning bed towels... they all have to be kept separated for sanitary purposes even AFTER cleaning! They can get in trouble from the health department for not keeping them separeted. So the fact that she wanted to stick a foot towel over your baby is discusting. It sounds like she was oriental (AND NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE WHO IS) but I have noticed that after working with philipino's at a retail store and vietnamese at a day spa, they can be very pushy in their beliefs as to how something should be done, mainly just because that is how it is in their culture. The manager does need to be informed so that it can be clarified that it is not acceptable to push that onto a nursing mom, that she should ask if you forgot a cover and need one and if you say no drop it at that. And also if you say Yes, WHICH kind of towel to provide ;-) Personally when I nursed my daughter I always covered up out of respect for those who are uncomfortable with others nursing in public. I didn't cover at home, but I understand and respect others feelings. Just because they cannot technically see skin doesn't mean it cannot offend people, especially when it comes to 'whipping it out'. YES I understand it's your babies food, but I also try to be respectful towards others. Just like I won't walk into a church and start yelling out curse words even though I think they are just words and are just fine, I won't say them there because of respect towards others. And yes.. I almost exclusevly nursed my daughter until she was a year old, but I carried a lightweight blanket (like a one layer of cotton material) with me for when we were out in public.
__________________
Mommy to a 7 year old and loving my (all-be-it stressful) post divorce life.
Please check out my crafts for sale pages.
http://www.facebook.com/ladybugsjoycreations
http://www.etsy.com/ladybugsjoycreations
Ladybugsjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #24
bjaneen
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,501
My Mood:
Re: *VENT*WHY do people feel its okay to try and cover a nursing mom?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavypride View Post
Personally when I nursed my daughter I always covered up out of respect for those who are uncomfortable with others nursing in public. I didn't cover at home, but I understand and respect others feelings. Just because they cannot technically see skin doesn't mean it cannot offend people, especially when it comes to 'whipping it out'. YES I understand it's your babies food, but I also try to be respectful towards others. Just like I won't walk into a church and start yelling out curse words even though I think they are just words and are just fine, I won't say them there because of respect towards others. And yes.. I almost exclusevly nursed my daughter until she was a year old, but I carried a lightweight blanket (like a one layer of cotton material) with me for when we were out in public.
OK, but often covering draws more attention than not. So those who are offending by NIP even when nothing is showing would be equally offended with or without a blanket, KWIM? Both ways nothing is showing and both ways you know the babe is BF'ng.

To the OP: I'm sorry that happened! It amazes me the nerve other people have when it comes to MY children.
bjaneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #25
marsha's Avatar
marsha
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 82
My Mood:
Re: *VENT*WHY do people feel its okay to try and cover a nursing mom?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildasMum View Post
The lady didn't "make" her nor did she kick her out. Therefore, no harm done in my book. Often times, I think we breastfeeding mothers can be a bit overly defensive. I whip my boob out wherever and whenever and never have I made a big deal out of someone giving me the stink-eye or trying to "help" me cover up. A simple "no thanks" (even if you have to say it more than once) is not that big of a deal. Now - if the employee made a huge fuss and said something mean to her or kicked her out? Heck yeah - raise a fuss. Otherwise - continue doing what's best for your baby and chalk it up to an ignorant employee who may have, like her husband said, made the incorrect assumption that she left her own blanket/hooterhider/whatever at home.

As I said earlier in the thread - yeah - it's gross to cover a baby's head with a foot rag. Sorry she tried to cover him/her with that. Yuck!
Nicely put. It's very true that people can only annoy you as much as you let them. That being said, I would have been annoyed b/c it was rude in the first place to attempt to cover a child that doesn't belong to you. Take away the nursing and if it were a baby in a carseat carrier and the employee came with a towel to cover the baby b/c in her opinion, the baby needed a blanket. It's just overstepping boundaries and sticking your nose where it doesn't belong. We've all been out when the old lady says, "Where are his shoes/socks?!?! He's going to freeze!" Even though it's the middle of August! Yep, it's a wee little annoying, but really, in the long run it's not a big deal. Just another busy body.

I think you handled it nicely though! You were very polite about it even though the attempt to cover your baby's head was rude.
__________________
Marsha
SAHM to Luke 5/07
marsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #26
heidi320's Avatar
heidi320
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SD
Posts: 530
My Mood:
Re: *VENT*WHY do people feel its okay to try and cover a nursing mom?!

Oh Wow! I didnt realize this thread would get this much attention! I just wanted to vent a little and get it off my chest since it was still on my mind this morning! This was the first time I've gotten more than a second glance while NIP.

Thank you VERY much for all the support. I think I will at least talk to the manager so that it doesnt happen to another customer. I was mostly just frustrated that she tried to cover me once and then again after I smiled with a "No, I dont need that" and then was going attempt once more! A pp said she didnt see the problem - its not that there was a problem per se, I was just venting my frustration that she actually attempted to drape a towel over us! It is one thing to ask if I needed a cover (like maybe I didnt have one) or if I WANTED a cover, but to just walk up and try and put something over my sons head was over the top for me.

Yes, there probably was a slight language barrier or cultural differance, but she talked to me just fine later at the front counter about how cute the baby is! She could have just asked or suggested a cover instead of attempting to give me a creepy pedicure towel. She wasnt verbally rude or anything, I just found the situation perturbing that people *ACTUALLY* think it is acceptable to try and cover a complete stranger. I dont walk around with towels or blankets covering babies with bottles or adults eating at a table, LOL!

Thank you again for "listening" and providing support!
__________________
Heidi - wife to Kevin - Mommy to Brandon, born 4/28/08!
m/c 11/09, 04/14, 05/14 Failed adoption.
Cautiously expecting our RAINBOW 12/15!

Last edited by heidi320; 08-17-2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added a word because my fingers dont work as fast as my brain!
heidi320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #27
quietdusk's Avatar
quietdusk
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 289
Re: *VENT*WHY do people feel its okay to try and cover a nursing mom?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2nine View Post
You need a shirt that says "If my breastfeeding in public offends you, please feel free to put a blanket over YOUR head!!!"
I SO want a shirt with that! That's awesome
__________________
Mama to our beautiful baby girl, born 01/06/08
Donate breastmilk or connect with donors free of charge here.
quietdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #28
naivete's Avatar
naivete
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 4,037
My Mood:
Re: *VENT*WHY do people feel its okay to try and cover a nursing mom?!

I don't think the point of the thread is how comfortable other people are with NIP. If you can be faced with that and not have it make you feel uncomfortable or embarrassed, then rock out with yr.. chest out. But who are you to say that just because you are so comfortable with it, then everyone else should be? It takes a lot of guts for many women to get to the point where they are comfortable with nursing in public, and to have someone try to shame you or embarrass you, it can be hard to deal with. If I'm going to pay some place money for services, I don't want their judgement with it.

To the OP: I'd definitely call the manager and ask for the remainder of the balance in cash, or give them a chance to rectify it.
__________________
indigenist, intactivist, lactivist vegetarian supermama to Trey, 10/03 and Theo, 09/07.
IDesperateSO Personal Enlightenment and a Full Bank Account - Don't sell to me!
naivete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #29
Ladybugsjoy's Avatar
Ladybugsjoy
Registered Users
Formerly: u****ride
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 6,593
My Mood:
Re: *VENT*WHY do people feel its okay to try and cover a nursing mom?!

Over in the co-op section there is a mama doing a co-op with shirts that say that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietdusk View Post
I SO want a shirt with that! That's awesome
__________________
Mommy to a 7 year old and loving my (all-be-it stressful) post divorce life.
Please check out my crafts for sale pages.
http://www.facebook.com/ladybugsjoycreations
http://www.etsy.com/ladybugsjoycreations
Ladybugsjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.