Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #11
2moms2IDGs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help: BFing twins and need nutrition advice

You've gotten some good advice from pp. I also had/have your issue. I was small b4 the girls and only gained 45lbs during pregnancy (even though I tried to gain more) They were still good weights and spent no time in NICU so that was a blessing. Bet when I got home the weight started just falling off and I was ALWAYS starving! Still am really.

One thing I try to do is eat whenever they eat. If I bf them then I have a little something too. I would say that I eat 2 full meals a day and 4-8 snacks. Lots of nuts, milk, protein shakes, veggies and fruit, wheat crackers and the occasional (ok everyday) oreos and milk!

I would talk to your dr if you cannot gain after adding more calories to your diet.

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another EBFing twins here. Mine are almost 8 months. I'm not having the problem, but I eat a lot! Like, I'm always hungry and I'm always eating. My DH always says, "you just ate!" I agree with pp's about picking higher fat healthy stuff, like avacados and nuts. Nuts are good and good for you. I also second the book, "When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads." But, it's actually by Barbara Luke, not Duke. Great job! I'm actually really struggling with my supply right now, so I may not make it much longer. I'm very, very, vary sad. Congrats on your twins and EBFing them. It can be very hard.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #13
bjaneen
Banned

My Mood:

I have no advice but I wanted to give you props for nursing your twins exclusively this long!! You rock mama!
bjaneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #14
NewMotherofTwins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Heatherloves CDs...Do you have an elec. pump? I had a period where mine went down and I freaked...but with great supports and shared info...I now have more than enough and extra sometimes! Thanks on the correction on the book author...oops.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
takingcotwins
Registered Users
Formerly: mrscowell
seller

My Mood:

Maybe try drinking Slim Fasts between meals? I know that my OB suggested that I do that now (while pregnant with twins) just to get the extra calories, protein, vitamins. I get the Wal-Mart/Target brand ones (original not ultra) because they are much cheaper. I have also been making smoothies with them, frozen yogurt, berries/bananas, and sometimes peanut butter. A yummy, healthy, great way to get in some calories. You can make extra and put it in your freezer. (We have an extra freezer, so I just put the top part of the blender in the freezer and throw it back on the base to loosen it up later in the day.) I've also heard of Coconut Oil being a great thing to add to smoothies.

I'm sooo impressed that you are exclusively breastfeeding and have made it to your prepregnancy size! I would really, really love to be able to do that. I don't mean to high-jack your thread, but was there anything special that you did or ate/drank to help with having enough milk? I'm expecting twins, and these are our first, so I haven't bf before, and I'm a little nervous that I won't have enough.

I am really going to have to go pick up that book now!

Check out my crunchy parenting, green living, IF surviving blog at Takin' Care of Twins!
takingcotwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #16
NewMotherofTwins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think flax oil is a better oil to add cals. It is high in Omega 3's which are great for their development! I did do the suppliments as well in the beginning as I was so sick with morning noon and night sickness...(I don't know why they call it morning sickness!) I had lost 10 lbs my first trimester...but then once I felt better in second...gained it all back +.
You definetly need to get that bk...it has a whole section on feeding all those babies! You definetly can...just trust in your body! I drink plenty of fluids...mainly alot of milk. 10 glasses a day. I mix it with choc. milk powder as i cannot drink that much without. It is all about frequency. The more times you nurse and empty your breast in a day the more milk you will make. I double pumped 30 min. after I nursed both when ever I could for an extra supply boost. After you nurse or pump...like 20 min. later you will have more to give with stimulation of let down....one thing I did not realize at first and really helped me. Nature will take care of it!

Have a great night!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:45 AM   #17
DKennedy
Registered Users

Hello from another BFing momma of twins!!!
Hugs to you ... I wish I was losing weight as quickly as you are, but then again, I'd probably worry about it, too!!
I think you've gotten good advice already .... I'll second the calcium intake, as well as high protein. I like to keep things in the house that pack a lot of punch, that I can grab quickly .... Cliff Bars, oatmeal, etc. I am NEVER without my water, but you probably already know that!!
I'm a nurse as well, and I agree that you might need to have your thyroid checked. Quick blood test, just to make sure nothing else is going on.
DKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote