Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2006, 11:05 AM   #1
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Toddler/paci/bottle dilema

Okay...so he turned 2 in January and I took the paci away (quite successfully) just very shortly after...just a couple of weeks after he turned 2...but, I let him have a bottle (like an infant bottle) of water to go to bed with....and it was only at night for bed...then he would want more water in the bottle in the mornings..i'd put water in a sippy cup and he'd say it was gross and he needed new water...pour the same water from the sippy into the bottle and magically it's fine

Recently he's been stealing his brothers paci...and dh says it's because of the bottle...because basically he wants that water bottle all day long. He hardly wants juice or milk..he wants water in that bottle.

I don't know if I'm making this into a bigger deal than it is...because it doesn't sound like he's fussing about it (I just laid him down for a nap without the bottle and he was crying for water when i left, but i told him we didn't have anymore and he stopped when i got 1/2 way down the hall)....I don't know if I'm just overly emotional right now (PMS)...but, I just feel really bad about taking these things away that give him so much comfort. I don't CIO with the baby and I feel terrible to CIO with my toddler.

Anyway...I don't know if I'm looking for suggestions, advice, or just support? I dunno..maybe I just needed to vent this? But I'm now

I hate AF

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
Carrie
Registered Users

Re: Toddler/paci/bottle dilema

Dh's grandmother told his mom (my MIL) that she was throwing the bottles away. She had her watch her throw them in the trash and then watch the trash collection take them away (I guess she waited until trash day). I have heard that this "cold turkey" approach is best for everyone involved. My mom used a similar tactic to take the paci away from my brother when he was two (told him they were leaving it at Granny's house...21 years later it is still there in a drawer!). I know I'm no help probably...I don't think letting him CIO is so bad, esp. if he stopped within seconds.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
rawkstarwife
Registered Users

Have you heard of the binkie/bottle fairy? You tell him that the binkie/bottle fairy is coming to get all the binkies or bottles so she can give them to the new babies that are about to be born. Then, you and DS gather up all the binkies or bottles in the house, put them in a bag and set them on the front stoop, "for the fairy." After he falls asleep that night, throw the bag away (in a Dumpster or somewhere, where he won't be able to find it later).

This puts a really cute little spin on it and it lets them feel like they are helping out with the decision while they gather up the old binkies/bottles. They also get to feel good about "growing up" because they are helping the new babies!

(note: I haven't actually tried this myself since DS is only 20 mos and is nowhere near ready to give up his binkie, so I can't personally say how well this tactic works, but I've heard that it's great.)
rawkstarwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:18 PM   #4
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

I can understand your frustration. I have a 3yo who still uses his binky (paci) at nighttime. I know, I know!!! My thing is I don't want to take comforts away from him all at once. We have been struggling with PLing and I felt that taking his binky away would be just too much for him. I would think that taking the bottle away would be more important than the paci. I know that maybe you don't want to do that and I totally understand. Maybe give him his paci until the bottle is totally gone and then work on the paci.
Something else we are trying is getting our ds something else for comfort. We are introducing a blankie. With children, it's hard for them to understand why their source of comfort is suddenly gone. Like Dr. Phil says....You need to replace one habit with another.

Good Luck!!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 06:11 AM   #5
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah, he's got a blanket (or 2, or 4) that he really loves and can't sleep without...and he's also starting to get attached to this frog...which he named Vincent (his middle name)

Yesterday went really well with naps and bedtime without a bottle...and I gathered up all the paci's so he couldn't sneak them around. For some reason, I think I'm more upset by the whole thing than he is?

Last night when he asked for his water, I just told him we didn't have anymore and he might have cried about it for about 2 seconds. Then, when I put him to bed..he said he wanted his water and again, I said we didn't have any more...I never heard a peep out of him until he woke this morning.

I guess maybe I make moutains out of mole hills. I blame AF.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:47 AM   #6
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls~Kain~Drake
Yeah, he's got a blanket (or 2, or 4) that he really loves and can't sleep without...and he's also starting to get attached to this frog...which he named Vincent (his middle name)

Yesterday went really well with naps and bedtime without a bottle...and I gathered up all the paci's so he couldn't sneak them around. For some reason, I think I'm more upset by the whole thing than he is?

Last night when he asked for his water, I just told him we didn't have anymore and he might have cried about it for about 2 seconds. Then, when I put him to bed..he said he wanted his water and again, I said we didn't have any more...I never heard a peep out of him until he woke this morning.

I guess maybe I make moutains out of mole hills. I blame AF.

Good job!!!! It's hard when kids grow up and seem to do ok with changes. I am like that, too, with or without AF! LOL!!!! I'm glad he is doing ok!
Old 05-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #7
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe I'm weird, but I allow sucking tools ie paci and bottles when wanted because there is a need to fill and sucking is a soothing stimulation...I mean really what is the difference a bottle or sippy cup they are still sucking you know so if one offers more comfort then I say let them...who's it hurting, eventually they won't want it anymore, but heck sometimes my son wanted to play baby and he was 5 and I let him and he self weaned his binky 3 weeks before he was three...he was also nursed till he was 2 1/2 but just loved bottles and binkies for sucking...He was potty trained at 14 months and he would also play baby and want to wear a diaper and I had no problem with that....hehehe it would crack me up quit frankly...I am not to strict on that sort of stuff to me it's not something to really stress over when all you are doing is moving them up to the next form of sucking!...(but an easy transfer sippy are the gerber sport bottles they USED to fit a bottle top or a sport top but they don't anymore but the suck is similar to a bottle or try those infant starter cup sets that come with thebottle nipple, latex sipper and removable handle then the hard one then a cup its like a transitional bottle to cup my son LOVED that)