Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2006, 04:32 PM   #11
quarli
Registered Users
seller

Re: Cosleeping bed options?

We have our crib sidecarred to our bed.....its is snug between our queen size bed and the wall. The twins only use it at night, but its def needed. When they were smaller co-sleeping with them in the bed was easier, but now that they are getting bigger and squirmy, there aint much room. It makes it easier for night nursing too. I feel more at ease at night knowing that with them moving alot now, the crib sort of confines them....and if they try to come the other way towards me, I know it.

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2006, 04:49 PM   #12
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are people that will roll on their baby in their sleep. Most will not. I've personally known both mothers and fathers who have done it and not woken up, though. In fact, DH does it. Luckily, I wake up. With DD, she slept in the bed with us till she was 13 months old. At this point, my back was killing me every morning and I was not sleeping well (I was only half sleeping because of DH's tendency to roll on whomever was next to him). We moved her to her crib with one of the drop-sides down (it's a double drop side) and pulled up next to our bed as a sidecar. She stayed there until she was 27 months old and moved to her own bed.

With DS, I couldn't have him full-time in the bed again. My back just hurts too badly with the baby in the bed. So, we bought an Arm's Reach Mini Co-sleeper and I'm wishing we'd spent the time to find an original. I absolutely love it but, at 8 months old, DS is really too big for it. DS generally sleeps in it till he wakes up after I've gone to bed (at this point, usually between 6 and 7:30 am). After that, he comes to our bed. On occasion he spends the whole night in our bed but not very often.

You will definately have to see what works for you. Friends of ours wanted to co-sleep but their daughter refused to sleep in there room. Everyone got much better sleep once she was moved to her own room. Every child is different.
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #13
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

My absolute favorite cosleeping option was to put the crib (with one side completely removed) in the corner of the bedroom and butt our bed up against it. I slept next to the crib and dh slept on the outside. I rolled towels up to stuff between our mattresses. It was a beautiful arrangement, but we can't do it with our new furniture (our new bed is too high.)
Old 05-16-2006, 05:15 PM   #14
quarli
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer
My absolute favorite cosleeping option was to put the crib (with one side completely removed) in the corner of the bedroom and butt our bed up against it. I slept next to the crib and dh slept on the outside. I rolled towels up to stuff between our mattresses. It was a beautiful arrangement, but we can't do it with our new furniture (our new bed is too high.)
Have you tried adding another mattress to the crib to bring it up higher? I know it works good for littler ones, but not ones who are pulling themselves up, cause it puts the sides in reach.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:17 PM   #15
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarli
Have you tried adding another mattress to the crib to bring it up higher? I know it works good for littler ones, but not ones who are pulling themselves up, cause it puts the sides in reach.
I have friends who've used something like this to raise the entire crib http://www.universalc.com/ahariser.html

Sort of like those blocks people use to elevate their bed so they can put stuff underneith it for storage.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:58 AM   #16
aschrimp
Registered Users

DH was VERY afraid that he would roll over onto ds if we coslept. And although we do have a king size bed, dh is about 320 lbs, and I am not small either - I am 5'10" and weigh about 190. So we fill it up without any baby.

We bought a bed rail (the kind for toddler beds, with soft mesh, not hard bars) and put it on my side of the bed. I snuggle ds up between me and the bed rail. The two of us don't take up much more space than I did sleeping alone, and there's no way he could be rolled over on by dh.

I actually sometimes have to ask dh to scoot closer to me, because he is so far away that I can't be cuddled up to him & ds at the same time - lol. And as for always sleeping facing ds, I don't. I sleep with my back to him pretty often. I can't sleep the whole night on one side. Once he has nursed back to sleep, I roll over. He snuggles against my back, and I snuggle up to dh's back, and we all sleep pretty well.

My only complaint was that ds scoots after me on the bed, and can kind of crowd us all over to the opposite side. I made a little pad to go in the bed with a bolster that ties to one side, small enough that I can easily cuddle ds over it, and he can get over if he really wants, but it keeps him from scooting all over the place in his sleep - kind of like a baby body pillow. Now there is even more room in the bed.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #17
babydirtybike
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks again for all the responses. It really helps ease my mind as to what the heck I was supposed to do for a baby bed.

You guys rock
DD Maria November 2/2010

New baby coming March 2013!
babydirtybike is offline   Reply With Quote