Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2008, 01:38 AM   #31
mamaholdyou
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's the deal with strollers being bad?

hmmm anti stroller ... I had no idea

well I guess I dont like the idea of the baby pods when you snap them out of their seat and into the stroller then lug the thing around and never touch the baby. I think its a little sad. I have a wee little babe so I still wear her most places but she likes the stroller just fine. It is annoying though trying to shop or to get to any place that is not handicap accessible with the darn things though. I was glad when she got big enough for the umbrella stroller because the other one is a pain to drag in and out of the car.

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 01:46 AM   #32
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Every tool has the potential for abuse. I have nothing against strollers. I love my Joovy, but I don't think they should be overused.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:59 AM   #33
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have no idea honestly.
I babywear most the day, but when push comes to shove and I have a long ways to walk, we use the pram/buggy. When he is older and sitting up, we'll switch it over to the stroller function.

For now. we have him face us when he's in the 'pram'. He freaks otherwise.
We also use it as a double for a bed when we visit with my inlaws. He'll sleep in while being held or worn and we then give him a chance to lay down and switch sides (get comfy so to speak). It's also one way we can ensure their cats don't bother him. They'll peek in on him, but typically will leave him well enough alone when he's in that space rather than in theirs.

You have to do what works best for your baby. Some need more face/hold time, others are loads more independent.

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #34
EBentley
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wouldn't give up the Bob for anything in the world. That stupid little umbrella stroller with too short handles and wheels I kick... maybe :P

I didn't know there were anti-stroller people! I loved babywearing and I would have another just to wear him around, but I can't walk 4 miles around a lake carrying my dude anymore. I don't find it comfortable. I do wish people wouldn't leave their kids in the carrier all of the time. B/c i BW, I only used it in the car.
EBentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #35
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_amy View Post
I'm a hard-core BWer, but my only issues with strollers is when people take them to super-crowded places and inconvenience others because they are in the way. For example, I think strollers should be banned at the Farmer's Market. The space is too small and it's so crowded and then some woman comes pushing through with a huge travel system with a tiny little baby in it. Get a wrap, for crying out loud. It's a pain to everyone else and it can't be easy for the poor woman to be pushing that thing around in that crowd.
Then you'd ban me from the Farmer's Market. I have 2 under 2. Babywearing is not an option for me right now. We love the Farmer's Market and without my stroller I couldn't go. My kids aren't old enough to walk beside me and too big to carry. I know it's inconvenient for people and we take up a lot of room, but I'm grateful for those that are patient with us and make room.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #36
Monzie
Registered Users

I'm a short momma with foot issues (plantar fascitis) and huge boobs (and I mean HUGE...none of these DD "bug bites"...try 34J ladies). My kiddo is freakishly tall and heavy. After months of trying one carrier after another (ring sling, wrap, mei tei, structured...I got 'em all), I finally threw in the towel and bought a stroller.

My son is a social butterfly who loves the outdoors and new experiences. He adores getting pushed around town every morning and I can finally take my daily three mile power walk in comfort. That said, I don't shove him in the stroller just to keep him out of my hair. I really hate seeing tiny babies at the mall in their giant "travel systems" being ignored while moms and dads chat and eat in the food court or whatever. When Oscar was small and cuddly enough to be held, he was in my arms....period. But, now that he's a big bruiser with grabby hands, we're both happier when he's safely strapped in his stroller.

Any militant babywearers wanna try telling me that I'm abusing my kid and they'll be getting a piece of my mind. You gotta do what is best for your child. What works for one momma may be totally impractical for another.
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #37
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulusmom View Post
Strollers and other baby gear like swings, detachable car seats, etc all contribute to the fact that many Western babies are held for a total of less than 2 hours a day! It is so sad, considering that babies and newborns in particular, need touch and closeness from their parents just as much as food and changing. Young babies in strollers especially are at a detriment because they face out and are forced to view the world in front of them without the option of burying the face in mom's shoulder when they are over stimulated. They don't have the security of being held by a parent while they take everything in, and many more babies will fuss and cry when put in the stroller than when put in a carrier. It is possible to abuse a stroller, but impossible to abuse a baby carrier. There's really no such thing as too much babywearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naivete View Post
Agreed. It's not so much about if a baby is still getting attention, at a certain age it's just way more beneficial to be held. The warmth, the attention, and very true to the fact that they can bury in if they're over stimulated, the more you hold your baby in a day the better their development, and a stroller is another way that takes away from the amount of closeness in a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaholdyou View Post
well I guess I dont like the idea of the baby pods when you snap them out of their seat and into the stroller then lug the thing around and never touch the baby. I think its a little sad. I have a wee little babe so I still wear her most places but she likes the stroller just fine. It is annoying though trying to shop or to get to any place that is not handicap accessible with the darn things though. I was glad when she got big enough for the umbrella stroller because the other one is a pain to drag in and out of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
Every tool has the potential for abuse. I have nothing against strollers. I love my Joovy, but I don't think they should be overused.
I agree with all these above posts. I love babywearing so much, but I don't do it now that my kids are older (my youngest is almost 2 years old.) For one, my "baby" always wants updownupdownupdownupdown so it's just easier to hold him. Secondly, we use the stroller so rarely that it's not torture for them to sit in it. (My first baby loved the stroller, but my next 3 kids hated it which is what led me to babywear.)
Old 08-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #38
mamakaty
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzie View Post
You gotta do what is best for your child. What works for one momma may be totally impractical for another.

I'm also discovering that siblings can be very different from each other!!! We use the stroller (travel system). ds#1 loved the stroller. And not because I forced him to use it. I tried babywearing, but I was younger, didn't know what the heck I was doing, and had no one to help me. He was certainly not neglected, and was (is) a very happy, well loved child. I wear ds#2, usually in a mei tei or SSC (and I'm a 34H/I, and yes it is definitely more difficult to find what works for you, IME), but sometimes my back just will not let me. And sometimes he's asleep when we get somewhere, so I'll just snap the carseat into the stroller and off we go. But I agree, you gotta do what you gotta do, and every mother makes the best decisions she can for her family.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:23 PM   #39
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

I agree with how some have & more will continue to abuse things. The stroller is one of them. Im not anti stroller but I totally agree with the fact that babies should be held more than they sometimes are.. They need reassurance & comforting as the world is very big & new to them.. I didnt know what BW was with DD & she was pushed in a stroller when out & about- I dont think we abused it though- she still got lots of love & attention..
With DS- he was worn waaay more than we used the stroller, but we still had it for the times when it was easier to use a stroller ect- but we kept a blanket over it with it in the carriage position so it was more natural to him. He didnt mind it- and I frequently checked on him, lovingly stroked his face & arms & nursed him during those times & even disturbed him to pick him up and love him.
This baby will get the same treatment as DS.. Worn mostly- but I will use the stroller if the time warrants it.
I believe there is a time & place & proper use for everything.. Anything can be abused.
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote