Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Anyone have tips for motivating your DC to PT?

Is there any way to motivate a child to PT or do you think you have to wait until they do it on their own?

My DD is 31 months and she has gone through various degrees of peeing on the potty, some weeks she would do great at it (especially when she is at my parents house) but then she started fighting me when I asked her to use the potty, so I've been giving her a break this whole month. I think for a while she was just going on the potty in order to get the treat afterwards, so the treats became the motivation rather than the reward. She apparently doesn't feel any peer pressure to wear big girl underwear being around older kids in daycare 2 days a week, like I thought she would. I put her back into cloth diapers, rather than Pull-ups, so she could feel wetness right away and get uncomfortable (plus those things were getting too expensive if they weren't helping with the PT process), but she could care less about sitting in a wet or dirty diaper and I just read that is one of the best signs they are ready to be PT, when they don't want to sit in dirty diapers. I feel so hopeless.

A couple weeks ago when DH left for a trip, I had him pick up a DVD of Elmo's potty time, or whatever it is called, at Best Buy because we could get a free Abby Cadabby doll with it. I want to think of a way to use the DVD and doll as tools to help with the PT process, but I need ideas. Do you think we can motivate her to start PTing again or should we just wait for some magical sign from her?

Tina - Separated mom of Abby (5) and Logan (3)
I've earned $275 in gift cards searching online
I've earned $75 shopping online
I've been paid to complete online surveys at
yagow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:29 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Anyone have tips for motivating your DC to PT?

What works kind of depends on their personality. I have used the idea of earning new panties (whatever they want to pick up as a motivator). With one of my children I put a sticker chart in the bathroon (just a piece of construction paper) and every time he went potty we added a sticker, and everyday we would get a new chart, and try to get more stickers on that chart than we had yesterday. (this worked for my son who was learning to count at the time).

DD I simply told her onedday that we would only use diapers at night, and she would have to use the toliet during the day. Some days she would want me to come in and sit with her while she pottied, and other days she did it on her own. I am not sure there is anything full proof it just depends on the LO
Rachel--- Proud Momma of 3
Ask me how to make your housecleaning Easier, more effcient & EcoFriendly.
rmz1217 is offline   Reply With Quote