Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #21
mamacass
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Why Does Shipping in Canada Suck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirdd View Post
I find when sending just a dipe or two - or anything that can be shrink wrapped or have the air removed from the package - I've been able to go Canada Post lettermail for next to nothing.

In terms of the larger packages, I've been shipping on the Canada Post Venture One (doing my own labels and payment online). However, if Fedex is much cheaper, I'd be happy to send business to them.

Any idea if opening an account gives greater discounts - or are we just talking about basic Fedex shipping at a kiosk or store?
How do you shrinkwrap your diapers to get them to fit Canada Post lettermail? Do the buyers complain when they get them about the fact they've been shrinkwrapped?

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 05:40 AM   #22
abirdd
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacass View Post
How do you shrinkwrap your diapers to get them to fit Canada Post lettermail? Do the buyers complain when they get them about the fact they've been shrinkwrapped?
I'm upfront if I know I've got to squeze to meet CP requirements. Basically, I'll I'm doing is removing the air from the parcel. You can either shrinkwrap using a machine (a vac sealer) or you can use a ziplock bag and remove air using a straw. You'd be surprised how this can "pancake" an item. I'm sure there are fancier ways, but with what little I ship nowadays - these have worked best for me.

Most people understand that CP is a rip off and that I try to make the parcel compact - or the cost jumps from a couple dollars to well over $7.50. Last week I sent a swimsuit from Ottawa to Ottawa, and even shrinked - it cost me $8.00
Old 07-17-2008, 08:25 AM   #23
CanadianMaple
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never would have thought to shrink wrap something. Good idea!
#2 due May 13, 2015. FET#2, having the baby DH planned to have together.
CanadianMaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #24
LilBeanBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow! some good tips here! i never even thought that fedex would be cheaper... hmmm shall have to re-examine my shipping charges in my shop.

http://www.LilBeanBaby.etsy.com
LilBeanBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #25
handmac
Registered Users

Hi Michelle,

I find the post office at confederation mall to be helpful. A few times she has suggested a larger envelope so that stuff could be moved around to stay under 2cm. But that so depends on who is working when you go.

Also, depending on what you are sending I have also used the Bus. Sameday/next day service from PEI to Halifax, 2 days to Niagara Ontario.

What really bites in PEI is that they only collect once a day, at 4 ish. So if you miss Thursday by 4 things sit around until Monday.

Heather
handmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #26
mikeybro1
Registered Users
seller

Is FedEx cheaper for larger packages only then? Everytime I enter in any diaper dimensions, Canada Post is still cheaper by at least $2.

http://www.shipgooder.com/rates_page...s=1&js_check=1
Old 08-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #27
joanna19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yah shipping in CAN does suck the big one.

I have been using the 2 cm trick tho but it doesn't work with everything Mostly with wool or soakers.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #28
abirdd
Registered Users
seller

Wow - I just got a parcel this afternoon via Canpar... who knew they were so affordable? The woman who shipped went to CP first, they wanted $10+ all the usual fees, so she ended up shipping with Canpar for $6.57. She said their rate calculator is pretty accurate... so I'm off to play around with it. If Canpar is a new solution, I'm going to be one happy shipper!!!

In terms of Fedex, I haven't had a chance to send anything smaller yet. Normally I've got 15+lbs going out West to family. I'm thinking I might play around tonight with a couple dipes in an envelope to compare CP, Fedex and now Canpar!!
Old 08-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #29
1orange23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirdd View Post
Wow - I just got a parcel this afternoon via Canpar... who knew they were so affordable? The woman who shipped went to CP first, they wanted $10+ all the usual fees, so she ended up shipping with Canpar for $6.57. She said their rate calculator is pretty accurate... so I'm off to play around with it. If Canpar is a new solution, I'm going to be one happy shipper!!!

In terms of Fedex, I haven't had a chance to send anything smaller yet. Normally I've got 15+lbs going out West to family. I'm thinking I might play around tonight with a couple dipes in an envelope to compare CP, Fedex and now Canpar!!
Does Canpar have delivery confirmation or tracking number ? If buyer pays with paypal and the package is missing with no confirmation or tracking number, I assume seller couldn't win in paypal dispute.

Last edited by 1orange23; 08-27-2008 at 02:29 PM.
1orange23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #30
abirdd
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orange23 View Post
Does Canpar have delivery confirmation or tracking number ? If buyer pays with paypal and the package is missing with no confirmation or tracking number, I assume seller couldn't win in paypal dispute.
Vic said she was given a tracking number, thus the reason she knew I got it today and so I could pay the shipping fee. Apparently, Canpar offers a pick up service for those with accounts (they cater to small business, or so she was told) - and for those without a regular shipping pick up need, they have posted rates and drop off locations. In fact, there is even a drop off point here in little Almonte.

I'm going to give Canpar a call tomorrow - since I'm really curious about the services and rates... and would like to know what is needed to get the small biz discounts