Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #11
rds989
Registered Users
seller

Re: almost 2yrs and not talking? Please help!

I'd say that there's a difference between speech and language, KWIM? Speech is about talking, whereas language is about communication, social skills, personality development, that kind of thing. My ds was a good communicator, but couldn't really pronounce much of anything until after he was 2, and now (at 3.5) he's quite precocious in his speech.

I tend to feel that if the kid's problem is speech, not overall language, then it's not such a big deal. But if it seems like there are languge issues, those can indicate further problems and it might be worth checking up on those.

In our area (Chicago suburbs) parents can get their preschool-age kids screened through the public school system, and if the kids qualify for services, they're free. The good thing about that kind of evaluation is that they tend to put the bar fairly low - they're not going to go on a fishing trip to try to find something wrong. And, speaking from what it's been like to have my dd in physical therapy (not through the school) since she was 16 weeks old, early intervention is often pretty fun for the kids! So that's an option if your nephew's mom wants to be proactive.

Advertisement

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=11507.0
rds989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:20 PM   #12
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read the other posts. Just wanted you to know my first son was 26 months before he said anything other than mama and dada. Then between 26-28 months his vocab exploded. By the end of 28 months he was talking like crazy. He's 12, almost 13, and hasn't stopped talking since, lol. The most important thing is to model speech. Like when he screaming for a drink she needs to say do you need a drink- or this is a cup- or whatever. It would help to teach him a few signs too so he doesn't get frustrated. Words like drink, eat, more, sleep, all done, etc really help when they can otherwise express themselves.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #13
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids havent talked before 2. mine will say one or 2 words when we are at home, but out htey are compeltley silent. Emma is my earliest "talker" at 23 months or so she started forming more words and some simple sentences.
If you are really concerned have her talk to her ped and dont let up. Some peds are quick to ignore it. Also though if she always give her son what he wants with a grunt, he doenst have to learn to talk...
Old 05-17-2006, 04:13 PM   #14
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

igot an only child
he s 3 now
he has apraxia
i will def get early intervention a call and talk to getting speech therapy
he 3 and cant put sentences together
he def has apraxia like my little one
goodluck
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:08 PM   #15
1boy1girl1bitty2
Registered Users
seller

is it possible he does/can but chooses not to? my cousin dod that until he was six!!!!! he would grunt and point and we would give what he wanted therefor ehe felt he didn't need to us ewords. but we would hear him nattering to himself when he thought no one was listening.