Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
no caption needed
My Mood:
2 yo wont sleep!!!! help me

Okay, Gage turned 2 in june, has had a toddler bed since about end of april , and could get in and out of his crib as he pleased from about 14m yea...i know

But its world war 3 everynight to get him to go to bed

Ive tried tweaking his schedule hoping he would just be tired and pass out-no luck

Sitting in hallway to make sure he stays in bed but sitting in hallway for nearly 2 hours= not my idea of fun

Letting him fall asleep with us then putting him in his bed, again up till 2am and later doesnt work cause Dave has to go to work

I just dont know what to do, im at my wits end, between Gage not going to bed until 3am usually and Declan waking to nurse at 3:30-4am then getting up to make bfast for dave and allison at 6...and Gage up for day at 8-9 im going nuts

Any books to point me to? Tips? Anything?

Do you like my avatar? check me out on FACEBOOK
ShayneLeMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: 2 yo wont sleep!!!! help me

Oh mama! That's tough! I feel for you! I have 3 different sleep solution books. I can't turn on the light right now because DH is sleeping so I'll have to try and remember the names. The 1st one is Ferber's book. That one is called Sleep Solutions, I think. Then I have a book called Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child. That one is GREAT! I can't remember the 3rd, but it's my least favorite anyway. Google the books or just pick them up at your local book store.

But my advice? Buy one of those gates (or two) stack them in his doorway and let him do whatever he does until he falls asleep. That way he can't leave the room. I got this idea from one of those books above. Now, this sounds kind of cruel, but it's not. IMO. He'll probably fall asleep there on the floor in front of the gate or he'll make his way back to bed. A few days like this and he'll understand that he needs to stay in his bed. You'll have to stop up your ears or close your door if it's hard for you to hear him cry --- God knows, it's really hard for me.

Let us know what you decide and what finally works!
God bless,
edennperez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

We use a gate for DS (2). I'd rather have the gate there than shut the door, and he is learning to climb and do all sorts of fun things and I feel safer with the gate in the door. Thankfully, he hasn't learned how to climb over that, even though I know its just a matter of time.

I do consider the gate a safety precaution, and not something that's cruel. His room is across the hall from ours, so we do hear him if he cries. At least this way I know he's not getting into something that could potentially hurt him.
txmom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Did you try putting him to bed earlier?? I have an extremely active two year old and we have been doing a bedtime routine exactly the same for over a year now and he goes to bed like a dream every night at 8:00.
I would say just pick a time and routine and STICK TO IT no matter what he tries! as soon as he's "in bed" its lights out and no more playing. if that means sitting in his doorway for two hours he will eventually get it.
good luck!
Mom to Wyatt 04/11/06 and Madeline 06/22/08
The best things in life are free (with coupons).
ADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Registered Users

I'm sorry...wish I had some advice. My kids have always gone to bed alone and peacefully (except as infants, then I rocked them).
My thought is you've got to establish a routine, be consistent and enforce whatever expectations you deem reasonable. If he thinks he can hop up 40 times and eventually you'll cave in then that's what he'll do
jebb4 is offline   Reply With Quote