View Poll Results: please read bellow first.
take the "home" potty and put him in diapers for outings. 0 0%
take the "home" potty and use underwhere for outings. 11 64.71%
put him in diapers for outings, he's not ready for pottying out of the house. 1 5.88%
stay home until he is more confident. 2 11.76%
other, please share info. 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
missy_cbell21
Registered Users
seller

when do you get rid of diapers?

our son is going too be 3 in november and he has been using the potty for three days now. poo and pee but he fightes us when we go anywhere because he does not want a diaper on but he will not use a public restroom. i bought a travel potty but he will not use it either. i feel so bad forcing him too wear a diaper because the laast 3 days he has not had any accidents and this is all his doing, i have no part in it. when he has too go he gets undressed and goes, empties his potty and sits it in the tub too be cleaned then gets dressed. i would hate it if he went in his carseat but out seats are leather and we have a backup carseat so it would not be a huge deal. so please vote on the poll and help me decide how too handle this.

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: when do you get rid of diapers?

I say take the travel potty (those Bjorn little potty's are SO convenient) and offer that w/ big boy undies, or diapers. DD had to make the choice once and has never looked back.

We packed away the diapers as soon as we had enough training panties & use fleece soakers at bedtime. You could always use those for outings if you're worried he won't use the travel potty.

Cold turkey has worked best for us and our friends.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
jenncatsmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Whatever you decide, be consistant....it is very difficult for them to "get it" if you keep switching back and forth between being allowed to use a diaper, and trying to get them to use the potty.

Know that there will be accidents.......
5% off at My HyenaCart with code: DS Momma
jenncatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
missy_cbell21
Registered Users
seller

we had a big backstep, i feel so bad, i made him wear a diaper yesterday morning and he has not used the potty scence. in 3 weeks we are moving and daddy is leaving for school and my brother is going home from his three month visit. that's alot about too thrown at my little guy all at once. in my gut i know he is ready and i should put the diapers up but i just know there is going too be too much stress on him too do this now. i have too admit it is easier too diaper him than the last few days have been with potty training. i think it's time for a heart too heart and let him chose.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:12 AM   #5
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just revisiting this--you say 'I MADE him wear a diaper today', do you think you're punishing him by putting him in a dipe? Does he not want to be in dipes?
If either is true, perhaps the switch to undies will be more stress on you than on him

IDK about you, but when my DD quickly caught onto the whole PL thing, I was the one having a hard time w/ it. Yes, less time spent doing laundry, but a ton more time spent obsessing over my DD's bladder fill level
However, even tho my DD just accidentally peed on the floor trying to run to the potty today, I'm seeing this whole PLing thing as a chance for her to succeed--to be proud of something.
Sure, she has accidents, but honestly as long as I don't react negatively, she doesn't care much either way. The look on her face when she DOES make the potty? Priceless. She calls us in to look her output & tells random strangers that she's peed or pooped on the potty. She shows people her panties and has the most interestingly candid conversations w/ her PLing friend that I've ever seen.
Accidents don't seem to stress her at all. Instead, she's extra happy working toward a treat, or her 'dry all day' glow stick...or even to show me what she's done in the potty, or for me to do the potty dance w/ her after she poops.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #6
yummymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Line your car seat with an absorbant waterproof pad, take him in underwear. You could have him pick out his own travel pot. Perhaps some ownership might help and maybe there are features or design that would make him more comfortable. Limit your journeys to short trips. Maybe something as simple as the routine of cleanine up in the tub is something he can't transpose into a public bathroom setting. He's doing great!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
missy_cbell21
Registered Users
seller

yup i made him wear a diaper. i was woried he would pee in his carseat but i soon realized that was so stupid of me. we had a real talk and he told me he wanted no more diapers, we got a box and he helped me pack them and put them up for good. he has done really well, only one accident yesterday and none so far today. now i just need too find something for him too wear at night. he is a heavy night wetter but i don't want too put him in a diaper. last night everytime i got up too feed the baby i woke him too go potty. it worked but man are we sleepy
Old 08-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

I'm so excited for you. I'm going back to diapers here as DS gets so mad when I take him to the potty. We had a great week but we have regressed and while I'm a bit sad, diapers are easier for us right now. The only prob here is he's grown and I'm running low on diapers.
Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
chataine
Is This Nirvana?
seller

My Mood:

i didn't read all the other posts..

but when my dd was going in the potty at home we tried going diaper free while out..and she was never successful at telling me when she had to go while out.. and then she actually started to resent wearing underwear all the time and starting peeing on stuff to punish me! anyway after another month in diapers she was ready to go out again..

my dh figured it out..we made a game out of going in the public potty..which she never would before..she would scream..and then we would have her "count" but she would NEVER go!! anyway my dh started the game..and its still the only way we can get her to go on a public potty

we ask her if she can do a little "squirt" and she lets out a little..and we make funny faces and then w/ funny voices say "can you give me a BIG squirt and she goes..

its the only way she will go! anyway just wanted to share what worked for us