Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:02 PM   #11
Registered Users

Re: Irritated Penis

It could be that you son is just getting retractable. He's a little young for it, but every kid is different. My second boy got really red and swollen on the end and he even had peeling skin for about two weeks. This happened when he was toilet training, so he was running naked a lot. He would pull on it and stick his finger in it and do all sorts of uncomfortable looking things, so obviously it didn't hurt. I just kept an eye on it and after a while it went away and he was about half way retractable where he hadn't been at all retractable before.

That was a new experience since my first never did anything like that and ended up retractable by the time he was nine (which was when I thought to ask him about it). My sister says that her little boy periodically gets red at the tip and then it goes away. She says she doesn't think much about it anymore.

And I have to laugh about girls being easier. I had my boys first and I was seriously concerned about diapering a girl (all those crevices). The week before she was was born I broke down and sobbed all over my dh about it. I got used to it within a few days, but I still think boys are easier. It's funny how the first child shapes your perceptions.

Advertisement

123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #12
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's normal.

Here's some info from CIRP.org:

What causes my son's foreskin to be red?

Sometimes the tip of the foreskin becomes reddened. This indicates the penis is irritated and the foreskin is doing its job of protecting the sensitive glans and urinary meatus (the opening for the passage of urine and semen).
When bacteria in the feces react with urine, they produce ammonia, which burns the skin and causes ammoniacal dermatitis, commonly known as diaper rash.

Common reasons for a reddened foreskin are:

Too much exposure to soiled diapers
An inbalance of skin bacteria caused by:
-too many bubble baths
-swimming in highly clorinated water
-soap on the genitals
-laundry soap or detergent on clothing
-antibiotic therapy (microbial flora can be restored by eating yogurt with live culture.)
Concentrated urine because the boy is not drinking enough water.
Drinking water, soaking in warm baths, and letting children run around with bare bottoms to air their genitals helps healing.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #13
Ariana'sClothesline
Registered Users
Formerly: isfahel
seller

Thanks for the info! He's all better now, I am keeping it super clean and it healed up really fast. I didn't have any vaseline so I just used what ointment I had and it worked fine.
www.arianasclothesline.com
Ariana'sClothesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #14
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad it's all better!

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote