Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

swollen, tender, headache, and upset tummy

I have no idea if this is a blockage or what but it hurts. There is no redness, my right breast is only swollen, really tender to the touch, and I have a headache and feel like I am going to puke at any moment. I have tried feeding normally and he can't get the breast to let down and I tried to pump and it won't let down either. My milk is a yellowy color. I notice I am not producing the for-milk anymore, only hindmilk, it is all fatty milk. Can I be drying up or do you think I just have a blockage or something? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
mrickmon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: swollen, tender, headache, and upset tummy

Sounds kinda like mastitis with the fluish symptoms you're having, even with no redness. If I were you I'd call your dr. or lactation consultant if you can and check it out. Hope you start to feel better soon!
Old 09-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

There is no LC here and I can't get an appt. for 2 weeks at the clinic on post, my only option is to go the ER at the hospital where I had my son. The midwife is attached to the hospital in the birth center so I should be able to see her. Does it warrant a trip to the Midiwife to look at me or is there something I can do at home to feel better? Do I need to stop working out until it clears. This sucks! I hope it isn't worse tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
mrickmon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had this with my oldest and I called our family dr. when I was feeling horrible. They told me it was definitely mastitis, although I did have a little redness in addition to the swelling and flu-like symptoms like you're having. The dr. called in some antibiotics (I'm not sure if that's standard procedure or if you would need them, but that's what they did for me) and they told me to pump a lot and that I didn't need to discontinue breastfeeding or anything. I felt so much better after beginning the antibiotics. I looked online and it says that in mild cases of mastitis antibiotics might not be prescribed, but I think my dr. did so that the infection didn't turn into an abscess.
I would google symptoms/treatment for mastitis and see what you can do to feel better there at home.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
NatureMama4
Registered Users

My Mood:

sounds like a clogged duct. you can use lecithin to help get rid of the clog and prevent future ones.
NatureMama4 is offline   Reply With Quote