Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
Registered Users
Question about pumping before the babies are here.

I am 34 weeks pregnant with twins, and have pre-eclampsia. My Dr. is wanting to induce labor at around 36 weeks so that the pre-eclampsia doesn't progress too far or become dangerous for me or the babies. At my last appointment I asked what methods of induction he would want to use. He knows that I want as natural birth as possible, and I don't think that any type of induction is really natural. His suggestions were to start pumping a few days before the 36 week mark, and to have sex. I know there are prostaglandins in seamen that will soften my cervix, and that pumping will release oxytocin to make me contract.

My question is...if I start pumping will I end up pumping all my colostrum and not have it available for my babies? I know that I could save it and have it fed to them by some other means, but I'm not sure that is something I want to do.

Rachel wife to Heath 6/17/2000 mommy of twin girls 9/11/2008
rkirkeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Question about pumping before the babies are here.

It's not likely you will do that. I pumped like a maniac attempting self induction and in the weeks i did i probly didnt get out 2 ounces altogether.

And... I don't mean to be discouraging, but despite my pumping, my walking miles per day, dtd WAY 2 often , eating spicy foods, etc. etc. - we tried practically everything! - I ended up w/ a pitocin induct at 41 weeks.
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:42 AM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Question about pumping before the babies are here.

I pumped like crazy trying to get my labor started and never got out anything! The cool thing about breast feeding is your body always makes more! You'll have colostrum for the first 2-3 days after delivery and it takes a month or so for your body to stop making it all together. Those babies will get lots! Good Luck!
sherpanelson is offline   Reply With Quote