Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
Mia276
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
TTC a girl question

Hey all - DH and I have been TTC on and off for most of this year, and I am really hoping to sway the odds for a girl since this will most likely be my last baby.

I've done a little research and the Shettles method is what makes the most sense to me; now, if only I could figure out exactly what day I ovulate! I happen to also be *blessed* with an irregular cycle(it ran about 42 days last month(!), usually around 30-32 days) Since I'm not completely sure when I O, would it be safe to assume that if we BD starting the day when my AF ends, and do it every other day until the first day of cervical fluid, that I will have a good chance of having a girl since the CM will keep the sperm alive a little longer? Or should we continue maybe until the first day of EWCM? I'm just now really beginning to pay attention to my CM (pretty interesting stuff, lol), but I'm not sure I've got the hang of telling all the different kinds apart yet.

I really have no interest in charting... I have toyed with the idea, but it is complicated by the fact that my toddler is still nursing a little at night; he is nightweaned but he will wake up as early as 5 to nurse, but sometimes not till 6 or 7...so I don't really have a consistent "wake up" time to adhere to, and also I read in the book Taking Charge of your Fertility that charting to TTC a girl is pretty much pointless.

Why or why can't I just have a predictable cycle? :-/
I've got serious baby on the brain and am starting to go a little batty!

Hope that wasn't too rambly. Any advice or shared experiences are very much appreciated in advance. Thanks. :-)

Advertisement

Mia276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: TTC a girl question

no experience, just wishing you luck!
Old 09-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #3
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh Lord how I would love to have a girl after my 5 boys!! If we TTC again I'll be trying this method too so I hope it works for you!! That means it just might work for me!! Good luck!!!
Old 09-06-2008, 12:10 AM   #4
Mia276
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
Oh Lord how I would love to have a girl after my 5 boys!! If we TTC again I'll be trying this method too so I hope it works for you!! That means it just might work for me!! Good luck!!!
5 boys?! Goodness, you must be one busy mama! Kudos to you, I can barely keep up with my one boy most days!

Mia276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
ephah
Registered Users
seller

I have three boys and we tried Shettles with #3, but the cutoff point was 2 1/2 days before O day, and, yup, a boy... my cycle is quite unpredictable too. We're just starting to try again and this month I thought I had got it right, but for some reason I miscalculated O day and we did the deed less than 12 hours after I ovulated because I thought we were in the clear! Ooops!!! I'm waiting to test on Sunday morning... so we shall see. The thing is, nothing is fool proof. Not unless you do a PGD... something I'm not willing to go down. So if the next one is a boy, we're going the adoption route...
Old 09-06-2008, 04:03 AM   #6
mommymilk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know they say there is a 'science' behind the whole thing...but I really think you just get what you get!

DH and I DTD once last October ( Poor guy!) and it just so happened to be on my O day...we had a girl. This was after having 2 boys.

Good luck! I know that I would have been a bit upset if my daughter would have been a boy, because I really wanted a girl (we were not expecting to get preggers) because I already had 2 crazy boys, but I knew I had no control of what was concieved.
mommymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:23 AM   #7
mbreen616
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't know if I would trust any methods on how to sway the odds because if it doesn't work out I wouldn't want to feel disappointed. I am blessed with one of each and will take what I get hoping it is in the form of a healthy child!

Good Luck getting your girls!!! I do think it is just that though...Luck.

In the wise words of my five year old "You get what you get and don't get upset" Of course that is mainly speaking about the color of a popsicle
Old 09-06-2008, 07:24 AM   #8
StaceyS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh goodness! I am in the exact opposite place. I have 5 daughters all born in a row. Dh really wants a boy (as do I) as my one and only teenage son is from a previous marriage.

I also think you get what you get. We have tried shettles before but only by timing none of the other stuff. We dtd right dead smack on O day and yep, we got another girl (that we love dearly).

I am just giving it to God and trusting Him to pick what we get. I am happy with whatever He chooses to bless us with, but of course, still really want a boy.

GL to you.
We love him, because he first loved us.<>< 1 John 4:19
StaceyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
xoxCoralxox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hummm im not really sure.... i honestly think jsut do it every other night.
cause I honestly believe that the "males" are the best swimmers - girls are the ones who last longer -

soo its more about planning when you ovulate , and since u have a hard time doing it im not sure.... but if you O. 3 days before you have sex im sure the chance of having a girl are MUCH higher....good luck though... im hoping for another girl.... you could also check out chinese calanders ? lol its worked for a few girls in my mom groups

~~~Expecting Jan.2015 Baby~~~
xoxCoralxox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you are really serious about a girl please read his book. You do need to chart and record cm. There is also a way to determine what your cut off date is for irregular cycles. Something like 14 days in from your shortest cycle -3 days but don't quote me on that. I read it last night and forgot.

You really need the book... well worth teh money.