Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #31
bryvaeh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP! Why are they doing this?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisadesigner View Post
Hello! How's it going?? Sorry for the delay...I was trying to think of what it was that was causing our lo's to cry- and really it was just Noah. This is my theory:
Noah was BF from day one and 90% of the time. Levi was BF from day 1 but had latching problems for a LONG time. They were both actually tongue-tied, but we had that resolved. Anyway- I think Noah became an efficient eater, in that as soon as he was placed at the breast, he wanted to eat. I wasn't producing much milk, and I think he got frustrated at that.

I think you mentioned your let down is delayed, but then very forceful once it happens. Have you tried to pump first like a pp siad? If not, I would try that and see. I also had the same issue you did with one side producing more than the other...made me a little lop-sided too!
i tried the puming first and i think it helped a little - they slept a little longer...they still cried after awhile but the quiet lasted a bit longer...i am going to keep trying and see if it keeps improving.

the teething tablets seemed to help really well at nighttime - they slept really well after that...during the day it is still hard to say if it helped or not.

and i thought of reflux...they see the doc on the 25th...too long so we will see then. my odd had bad reflux. i cut out tomatoes since i know that bothers them...i will have to try some other stuff too...any suggestions anyone?

thanks for all your help mamas...and thanks for the compliment on their names - around here i get looked at like i have 2 heads when ppl ask

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #32
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryvaeh View Post
they are usually acting like they are really hungry when i feed them...they suck really fast and hard till milk lets down then they are gulping because i have a really fast let down...i know they can't keep up when milk lets down because they often unlatch and cough or burp while milk streams everywhere...then they relatch and do just fine.
We aer having this trouble at night - it's so hard to figure out what is wrong. usually it ends up that she has more burps to go. Regular burping doesnt always work, but sometimes getting her to sit up still does. I also learned that giving gas drops prior to each feeding helps. Eventually you wont need these anymore - as they get bigger and can handle more at a time. HTH.
if u have to let them cry a little in a crib - if u get overwhelmed, it's OK to walk away for a bit.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #33
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Ok I am totally going to say this sounds a lot like reflux. It is usually right around 3 or 4 months that reflux really kicks in HARD. If they are fussing more right after they eat it is probably because of the acid they are producing. I would call the ped and let them know what is going on...

When you are nursing do they gasp a lot? That is a sign of reflux.

When they are done nursing do they arch their back a lot? Another sign of reflux...

Gas is a HUGE sign of reflux.

I would definitely call your ped sooner than later. Sounds like they are in pain.
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #34
bryvaeh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leininger27 View Post
Ok I am totally going to say this sounds a lot like reflux. It is usually right around 3 or 4 months that reflux really kicks in HARD. If they are fussing more right after they eat it is probably because of the acid they are producing. I would call the ped and let them know what is going on...

When you are nursing do they gasp a lot? That is a sign of reflux.

When they are done nursing do they arch their back a lot? Another sign of reflux...

Gas is a HUGE sign of reflux.

I would definitely call your ped sooner than later. Sounds like they are in pain.
wow the gasping and arching their backs describe what they do to a T - exactly and the gas. they arch their backs when i try to get them to burp...now that i think it does seem like burping is painful my brain is so full i didn't think about that! I just saw this but I guess I am calling the Ped in the AM to squeeze them in ASAP. thank you so much! i am going to try gas drops too - maybe that will help with the burping.