Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Love4leon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Foster Care/Adoption where to start?

I think I may finally have my husband on board- I would love to be a foster parent or adopt- or do both? I haven't a clue where to start- Can anyone offer me advice? Can you start out with Fostering children and then decide to adopt if the parents loose their rights? How does this work?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Love4leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
starstruck444
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Foster Care/Adoption where to start?

You can do whatever you are comfortable with. You can foster to adopt which means they will give you kids that are more likely to be adoptable. They can't guarantee an adoption unless rights have already been terminated. You can just foster or you can adopt a child who is legally free (rights have already been terminated).

I would contact your local DSHS or DCFs and take the foster parent classes. They give you tons of information and you aren't committed to anything by taking them. HTH!
Old 08-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no idea just wanted to say hi
Old 08-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
fairymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Old 08-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
JayCee33
Registered Users

My Mood:

You can most certainly foster and then adopt if parents rights are terminated. That is what we are doing. But you should be aware that the vast majority of foster children are reunited with birth families. At least that is what we were told in the classes we took for foster parenting. Like the pp said contact your county family services agency or whatever organisation takes care of foster parenting. They should be very eager to help you, since there is usually a shortage of foster families.
Good Luck!!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
mom55
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think most families that go into fostering realize the child's placement is most likely not permanent. It is a different emotional mindset going into it as compared to making an adoption plan. Both are great callings. Maybe by talking to others, reading, and meeting with professionals in this area you both can discern which would be most appropriate for your family at this time.
Best of luck!!!
mom55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
schristensen13
Registered Users

I suggest speaking to other foster parents and contact more than one foster agency...some have different philosophies regarding support and communication so finding a good fit for your family is a must. A good social worker is priceless!!
Fostering isn't for everyone but it's the most amazing thing to be able to do for these families.
Originally we wanted to do a fost-adopt but ended up doing traditional foster care...look at all of the options and see what would be best for your family. Good luck!!!
schristensen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Foster
Registered Users
seller

We are both foster and pre-adoptive ~ Willing to take both! Our caseworker is a-okay w/ this. There is no commitment to ever take in a child, even if you complete the classes & become certified. I think to start, I looked up our states website, then got the number for foster care for our county from there. Called em up & went to an informational meeting. Started classes after that! Good luck!
Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
tavi
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have been fostering for 6 yrs now, have been told in at least 5 out of the 6 placements, (multiple children in each placement), that "These kids will not be going home, EVER!!), just to have them go home or to family members. I am not telling you this to discourage you, but to inform you. It can be a long, hard road for adoption after fostering, but the fostering part is SO WELL WORTH IT!! At least in my case where I don't plan on ever adopting, I am happy just fostering.

Let your local DFACS, DHS, foster agencies know what you are looking for up front, take the necessary classes, get your heart ready for lots of love and keep your head up when/if it gets too tough.

Good luck and feel free to contact if you have more questions.

Nanny
tavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
mother_04_07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

6/02 ~ 7/02~ 12/03 9/04 Born @ 38.0w LifeFlight/NICU/IA defect Surgery #1@3days old,#2 2/06, #3 11/09,#4 6/10,#5 8/10
7/2007born emergency c-section @39.0wIn STOCK Mama Cloth & PAST WORK
mother_04_07 is offline   Reply With Quote