Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
yesterdayicried
Registered Users
k**ro**ns26
seller
seller

How do OPKs work?

So... can some one give me a run down on how/why/when to use the OPKs? I have a hard time charting at the same time every morning as I'm still nursing 15mo. DD and getting up a bit at night. This will be our fourth cycle TTC but the first I'll be charting my temp. Anyway, who uses OPKs, how do you use them, and do people find them helpful?
Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
Mom_of_3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Smile Re: How do OPKs work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katierobbins26 View Post
So... can some one give me a run down on how/why/when to use the OPKs? I have a hard time charting at the same time every morning as I'm still nursing 15mo. DD and getting up a bit at night. This will be our fourth cycle TTC but the first I'll be charting my temp. Anyway, who uses OPKs, how do you use them, and do people find them helpful?
Thanks!
Hi There:
Have you had your first PPAF as of yet?
I would not suggest using OPK's until you've done at least one cycle temping PP to make sure you are in fact ovulating. If you are in fact ovulating and prefer to go just OPK's, which typically I don't advise but will confess I did just that for the past 3 cycles when I was weaning myself off temping and ttc but still doing OPK's and my clearplan fertility monitor.
So all that said LOL, the best time to take an OPK is around 1 or 2pm and 9pm each day, do not use first morning urine on an OPK. I would advise testing at both times until you confirm your LH surge has passed.
Peeonastick.com has good info on OPK's. I like the ones from babywishes.org since they are super cheap and you can stock up.
You can do modified charting though to help you, such as still tracking your CM. Ovusoft is really great for charting. If you've read Taking Charge Of Your Fertility you can just check CM which is the billings method if you cannot temp. And then enter that into your ovusoft chart along with what your OPK's tell you and it will give you good info on your fertility based on that.
You don't have to do anything but OPK's but it does really help to do so. I charted for almost 9 years.
Also realize that there are limits. You cannot confirm you ovulated with an OPK, only that you did in fact get your LH surge.
I had great luck using my OPK's with the clearplan monitor which does tell you peak, high and low fertility. They are pricey but in my opinion worth their weight in gold do to ease of use. I purchased mine brand new in the box off ebay with test sticks for about $140. It has helped me along with other things in getting my BFP twice.

I noticed while nursing my ds that my CM was less Eggwhite like and much drier than my other times ttc. I did try preseed but did not conceive while using it. So tracking CM might be hard if you have noticed the same change in CM as I have in myself.
My best advice is do all you can to help things along but do not lose hope if it takes a bit. It took me 12 cycles to achieve our BFP and I have been nursing my ds the whole time.

Sorry to ramble or write a book.

Good luck to you!
Melissa, Proud wife, Skylar (6), Summer (4) & Decklin (20 months), with #4 dd: May 11th. homeschooling, SAHM, non vaxing,
Organ donation has touched our lives: www.saveskylarpictures.blogspot.com
Mom_of_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
yesterdayicried
Registered Users
k**ro**ns26
seller
seller

Re: How do OPKs work?

Thanks, Mama, I'll look up more info. about them at peeonastick.com.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
ShamroxGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do OPKs work?

I ordered some, I've yet to have a real PPAF(I think some spotting late last month was AF starting to come back).
I'm pretty sure that I O'd last month due to some "cervical tenderness" during BD.

I found that checking my fluid was sort of not working, because we BF, but I did notice a change around my "O" time last month.

Oh, and I got cheap OPK strips from early pregnancy test.com, they were relatively inexpensive and if we're not really O-ing yet at least I didn't spend $$$$ on them, KWIM?

Good luck!

***4***8***12***16**20***24***28***32***36 ***40
ShamroxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote