Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
tara
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you can your own meat?

DH canned green beans this weekend and thought it was fun I told him he could do meat in the pressure canner as well and he seems interested.
We have almost 1/3 cow in the freezer so I thought he could start there. What types/cut of meat do you can? Cooked or raw? Do you have favorite recipes you'd be willing to share? TIA
Tara

Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
Blessedinmississippi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Do you can your own meat?

I would be interested in this also!
Blessedinmississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:38 PM   #3
marieliza
Registered Users

My Mood:

We're thinking about starting to can fish. The freezers almost full . . .

You have to make sure you know what your doing. The amount of airspace has to be just so or you can cause botulism.

Wife to Chris
Momma to Lydia
marieliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
armymom4
Registered Users

My Mood:

we mostly can loose ground beef or sausage or beef cubes i put my stuff in the jars raw. now i don't have a pressure cooker so i am not sure what the time is on that i do my canning the old fashion way with the canner! my one cousin had a pressure cooker release on her and her lil one and were burnt bad so i tend to stear clear of those. but in a regular canner you must boil the meat 2 hours in order for it to keep correctly in the jars.
if you have tons of questions on canning my best piece of advice to give you is
blue ball makes a book on canning there is not a single question in that book not covered!
my hubby lovesss canned sausage in the morning for breakfast we scoop it out the jar toss in a pan heat up and he will have it along with his pancakes in the morning!
i am sure if you do not wish to buy one of those books your local library will have it.
also we do not season our meat otehr than salt when we can it,,found out the hard way canning meats with rosemarry and otehr strong herbs makes it even stronger you might want to season after you take it out the jar to use it instead
Old 08-14-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
tara
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've read a recipe for beef stew, canned. Have any of you tried it? Is it good or do those kind of recipes end up tasting like canned stuff from the grocery?
Old 08-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
bezmommy1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I canned beef with my grandmother a couple of years ago, but I think she uses the Ball canning book also. We cubed the meat, packed in pint jars with some salt and used the pressure canner. It is my favorite meat for stroganoff and tacos
bezmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
tara
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds so yummy for the winter!
Old 09-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
LannaM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pressure can our own beef stew.
I do tend to err on the side of caution and have a tendency to slightly over-process stuff in there by like 5-10 minutes. Sometimes by accident, sometimes on purpose. Hubby seems to like it just fine - I don't really eat beef stew... we can it in pints so he has easy lunches for work when he's swamped, plus they keep just fine in his desk drawers (also have half-pints of green beans for him at work, too). I doubt it tastes like the stuff from the store as my hubby gets all excited when we start the makings of yet another batch of the stuff.

I haven't done straight-up meat, but I'm still sorta new to it all, this is my 2nd year of canning insanity, 3rd year overall. But yeah, the headspace and pressure you can it at can make a huge difference. I don't know that I'd trust a water bath canner to get as hot and pressurized as my pressure canner though, but I have safety issues like that (i.e. my almost-5yo is still in a 5-pt harness and will be for as long as I can possibly keep him in it).

My canner is an All American 921 by the Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry (or however they label stuff - I forget since it was hubby that surprised me with it for Christmas a few years ago), awesome, awesome thing. Heavy as sin, but so freakin' sturdy. I even had a jar of green beans not make it one batch, and I didn't know anything was amiss until I went to pull the jar out with my jar lifters and it just slid apart spewing beans all over the inside of the canner. Sure, depressing because that was a quart of hard work, but I didn't hear an explosion, the lid didn't come off (a few safety features on that lid), etc. And no one was hurt. I love my pressure canner.

ETA: Get your hands on either the Ball Complete Book to Home Preserving or Stocking Up by Carol Hupping - both should have meat canning recipes and such.

Last edited by LannaM; 09-08-2008 at 05:59 PM.
LannaM is offline   Reply With Quote