Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
carmarie84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do you know when "its time"?

When do you know it's time to wean your little one, and how? My first one just kind of weaned herself after 13 months or so. My little dd is now 11 months old. My dd is throwing hints about me getting her off the boob, and it actually hurts sometimes now that she has a few teeth.. I don't want to quit because of the good benefits, but how much grinning and bearing do I need to do? She seems to still be interested... but I just wanted to see if any other mamas had any advice... TIA

Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
MarinesFamily5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you know when "its time"?

MarinesFamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
Belladune
Registered Users

My Mood:

I knew it was time with the first one when i had mastitis for the 3rd time. that was when he was 8-9 months. With the second one, I'm sticking with 8-9months (currently weaning and we managed to get thrush, joy of joys ) 8-9 months went well the first time for us, and this time its going well too, other then the thrush.
So, in my experience it's when you just can't hack the pain anymore.
dunno if that was terribly helpful, but thats my experience anyway.
Belladune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A natural age of weaning is like 3 years. I think if they are acting like they are done, it is most likely a nursing strike or it is just a developmental change going on. Keep with it. You haven't even felt the joys yet. PM me if you have any ?s

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
xelasminin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my son was about 18 months old when I knew I was ready. I think I had some other "issues" going on, like I was getting touched out very easily and just couldn't stand it anymore. But he wasn't drinking anything anymore. I never heard swallowing, wasn't feeling let down so I slowly weaned him away around 19-20 months. I know he was using me for comfort, and that's completely fine, I was just at a point where I couldn't handle it anymore.

If she bites or anything don't be afraid to say NO, and relatch! She'll learn you don't like those teeth! My Evie scrapes me or latches wrong so I feel her teeth sometimes.

she probably is interested! People tend to put 12 months down as a magical number, I think that comes from the formula side, where you quit formula at 12 months and switch to cows milk. But really like someone above said natural weaning on the childs side doesn't usually happen until later on!
xelasminin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
carmarie84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas.. I need to learn a little patience sometimes lol. Those little teeth sure can hurt. My first dd never gave me a problem at all.. this definately goes to show that all kids are different.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
Domino Pads
Registered Users
seller

I would think your baby is old enough to understand when you tell her she's hurting you. I don't think it's an indication she's ready to wean.

I think when the child is ready to wean you'll know because they won't want to nurse anymore (kinda like the old 'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink' thing), don't you think?

Domino Pads - We are the TOP RATED Cloth Pad on The Diaperpin
Handdyed or Natural - Petite, Regular & Plus Size - use Coupon DSCode for 5% OFF
Domino Pads -The Perfect Pad for Your Period, Pregnancy & Postpartum
Domino Pads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #8
JollyHolly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For us, it was when I got pregnant with this baby. DD was over 2 1/2 at the time. DD wasnt particularly ready, but I was. She was only nursing down to bed and nursing in the early morning, like 5-6 am for a snack.

Like pp'er said, if her teeth are hurting you then something isnt latching right. Relatch her to a more comfortable position. DD and I had to relearn different latching techniques once she got a bunch of teeth, and I frequently relatched her if it hurt. It only took her a few weeks to catch on to which one I found more comfortable. If she is biting, you need to tell her NO BITE, and put her down on the floor. Not in a cruel way, but just in the way that sends the message that biting = no nursing. Usually works pretty quickly.

I think when she's ready to wean it will be pretty clear as far as her lack of interest. She wont ask for it nearly as much and when you offer she wont be as eager to nurse. The signs will probably be really clear. Like pp'er said, kids dont usually self-wean until after age 2 at least.

Good luck Mama and I hope everything works itself out. BTW, if dh is pressuring you to wean, just let him know that it wont be forever and it's not his body so it's not his decision.