Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
CarsonsMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
What do you think?

DS is almost 8 months old and in the past few days has been refusing EBM from a bottle, but will drink formula from a bottle just fine. I only pump once a day and get about 8 oz, so whatever he gets over that amount is formula (we've been doing that for quite some time). He still nurses, although he really has lost interest & will only "snack" unless he's tired. He LOVES eating solids (in fact he's more into real food than pureed baby food). So he gets 3 solids meals a day, and I guess 2-3 bottles while I'm at work, b/t 8-12 oz I'd say. He usually doesn't even want to nurse once I pick him up from MIL's, so I feed him solids for supper. He nurses at bedtime, then wakes between 1-3am to nurse & then ususally every hour or so after the first waking & is up for the day around 6am. Every morning. Even weekends. Oh, I digress.....

So anyway, he's basically nursing b/t 2-4 times b/t 7pm to 7am and not much any other time, and now seems to prefer formula in his bottle & breastmilk in his boobies!

Should I stop pumping & just let him have formula? I did that with DD around 9 months but she stopped taking any bottles & reverse cycled instead. In fact DD nursed til she was 3 YEARS OLD, at which point I bribed her with a Barbie house to wean cuz I gave up on her self-weaning b/f 16. Part of me wants to just wean DS now just to make sure I'm not nursing another preschooler (although I wouldn't trade it, it was extremely hard on me!) even though they have TOTALLY different nursing personalities so I really don't think that will happen. Another part of me wants to wean in the hopes that he'll start sleeping through the night if I do, lol.

Anyway, I know I'm rambling, I'm so tired I can't see straight these days!!! What do ya'll think???

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
takasmom
Registered Users

Re: What do you think?

Personally, I think 8 months sounds too early to wean. The AAP recommends BFing for a year and WHO and UNICEF recommend at least 2 years. Here's an article that discusses those recs: http://www.llli.org//ba/Aug94.html