Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #11
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:
Re: Felon Adopting?

I'd like to know more on this, so I"ll be watching this thread. My sister has wanted her whole life to adopt and was recently arrested on a nonviolent felony charge (drug-related). Assuming that she straightens her life out, I hope that she'll be able to adopt one day even if she's convicted.

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008, 07:30 AM   #12
TestifyToLove
Registered Users
seller

The only case I'm aware of where someone with a criminal record tried to adopt was the one our social worker 2 adoptions ago told us about. The husband had been convicted of child ****ography charges in another state. Because he had his record expunged, he thought he could conceal that past on an adoption application and did not declare it.

Social worker said being honest wouldn't have changed the outcome, child **** charges are a non-negotiable automatic disqualifier. But, it would have saved her the discomfort of having to be the one to tell his infertile wife that the only way she was ever going to be a mother was to leave him.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #13
clongworth
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBunny View Post
I'd like to know more on this, so I"ll be watching this thread. My sister has wanted her whole life to adopt and was recently arrested on a nonviolent felony charge (drug-related). Assuming that she straightens her life out, I hope that she'll be able to adopt one day even if she's convicted.

OK since you are wondering......in our case we were initially denied but are now being reconsidered..........my husbands arrest was a gross misdemenor "resisting arrest" I will update when I hear more.
clongworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #14
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller

Yeah DH and I would love to adopt someday as well. I have two young siblings from China and would LOVE to adopt from Asia. Problem is, DH was unfairly charged with aggrivated vehicular assult. Being that it was "aggrivated/assult" it is considered violent.

It is very unfortunate. Of course we aren't old enough to adopt, he is but I am not. We still may look into it.

Be careful if you get into a car accident, you could be charged unfairly, he didn't kill anyone, he was stone cold SOBER when it happened, just on his way to his Uncle's wedding. One of the victims was related to the prosecutor (sp?) in the next county over. It happened in a small town and he was looked at as an "intruder." Due to this he lost his career as a Staff Sergeant in the Army and has trouble getting jobs (but still got an honorable discharge thankfully). Thankfully God hasn't let us down and has provided. I just hope one of the next things he can provide is a way to prove that he was charged unfairly.

I hate to think that a person with previous drug problems can adopt but a person who simply got into a car accident cannot. Maybe there is hope? Maybe expungement? Something?

Last edited by ACSNMama; 09-10-2008 at 11:07 PM.
ACSNMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #15
kaymurr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They would just have to disclose all the specifics upfront to the agency and/or social worker they contact first, and will probably get a pretty straightforward response as to what to expect. Everything comes out in the homestudy process and it is seriously frowned upon to try and hold anything back.
kaymurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #16
clongworth
Registered Users

And we did disclose EVERYTHING up front. They just see "resisting arrest" as being violent. My DH was not drinking either, nor was he arrested on any other charges. this arrest was 14 years ago btw. The rest of our hs was perfect.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #17
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestifyToLove View Post
The only case I'm aware of where someone with a criminal record tried to adopt was the one our social worker 2 adoptions ago told us about. The husband had been convicted of child ****ography charges in another state. Because he had his record expunged, he thought he could conceal that past on an adoption application and did not declare it.

Social worker said being honest wouldn't have changed the outcome, child **** charges are a non-negotiable automatic disqualifier. But, it would have saved her the discomfort of having to be the one to tell his infertile wife that the only way she was ever going to be a mother was to leave him.
It terrifies me that there are people like that who are trying to adopt. Eulgh... What might be even scarier, though, is that that same man could have biological children and, most likely, wouldn't be prevented from keeping them.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #18
clongworth
Registered Users

Wow.....I missed THAT post somehow! VERY SCARY!