Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
Socks
Registered Users

BF'ing babies with allergies?

I was just wondering if anyone has experience or advice on BF'ing babies with food allergies? My DS is almost 5 months old now and has *severe* allergies to milk, soy, peanuts, and wheat. He started reacting two days after he was born, with a full body rash and vomiting which progressed to blood in his stool and wheezing. We worked with the lactation consultant (elimination diets up the wazoo!) until he was 3 months old, when the reactions got so bad we had to put him on Neocate full time. He's done a complete turn around and he's healthy as a horse and a total chubber now! I feel so guilty that he's on formula, but at the same time I know it was the best decision we could have made at the time.

I'm pregnant again (yay!) and really, really, really want to make breastfeeding work for the new baby. Both DH and I have food allergies as do most people in our family, so we know it's likely that baby #2 will also. I was thinking I would try eating a "hypoallergenic" diet the last month or two of the pregnancy and slowly introducing foods into my diet to be able to monitor how the baby reacts...

I'd love to hear from anyone who's nursed an allergic baby! Thank you so much for reading my book of a post!

Advertisement

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
cyrdian
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BF'ing babies with allergies?

Hi there! DD #1 had food senstivities to chocolate, corn, milk, and later peanuts (and a really minor one to gluten that didn't last long). She did not react really severely, but would still get rashes, gas, spit up a LOT more, etc. I cut back my diet, but I'll admit I totally cheated here and there a teeny bit and managed to get away with it. She didn't have real allergies, just sensitivities, as they started to fade when she matured. When she was six months old, her tolerance started increasing a little bit at a time until, but 18months, the only one that really bothered her was peanuts (I didn't give them to her, if anyone was wondering...). Now, she is over that as well although I do find if she has a lot of any of the things she was really sensitive to as a baby, she can have trouble making it to the bathroom at night and gets a little, well, we'll call it independent..lol (so we still try to keep that stuff low). Oddly, she got mostly over it, but I have friends whose children got more severe as they got older, so they had a lot of diet adjusting to do.

So, I do have some experience, but not as hard as yours. I will say, though, that I can totally relate to standing in the kitchen staring in the freezer just ready to bawl my eyes out because I was hungry couldn't find anything to eat (again) that actually looked at all appetizing to me and was still on my 'okay' list. (Or staring at my baby ready to cry, because she was miserable --because I had 'slipped' and had something with ____ in it). That said, this time I planned ahead of time and did what you mentioned-- started introducing things in. I had to take into account that most babies will be fussy/off-schedule for the first few days. It has worked well so far, and this baby isn't sensitive to almost anything but lots of dairy and a little chocolate, from what I can tell- hooray. Honestly, I felt like this time has gone by a lot faster, and just keep thinking, 'a few more months and I will probably be able to have a little more ____.' That helps me out a lot. Don't feel bad about the formula- you made an informed decision after working hard and it has turned out great so far.

I also really like the diaperfreeaby yahoo group. We don't really do elimination communication, but there is a lot of info about food allergies (and people who have experienced them) on there that I found helpful.

Good luck mama!

Last edited by cyrdian; 09-12-2008 at 11:34 PM.
cyrdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #3
cyrdian
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BF'ing babies with allergies?

Oops - that group was

DiaperFreeBaby (sorry- misspelled it)
cyrdian is offline   Reply With Quote