Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
Kari78
Registered Users
seller

solids vs. nursing

We've recently started solids, and I'm trying to get an idea of how much solid food to give, for what ages. I know it's different with every kid, but really I just want to make sure I don't give too many solids, too soon.

How old is your breastfeeding baby, and how much solid food does s/he eat (in terms of average ounces/day, and times/day)?

Advertisement

Kari78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
xelasminin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: solids vs. nursing

My super baby foods book advised nursing baby first before giving solids. So it wouldn't affect your milk supply.

My daughter is a week shy of 1. She gets probably 2 solids a day. She eats what we eat for supper, but she'll get yogurt, fruit or something else during the day....
xelasminin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
JuliaMaite
Registered Users

My Mood:

My baby is 7 months old. We give her solids only for lunch (since I work, it's the perfect time). I don't know how many oz, though, because we do baby led weaning. We give her a baby bowl full of what ever cut in sizes that she can grab. She goes crazy feeding herself until she's done (by her standards), then starts wining to get out of the chair. Yesterday, we kept adding things because she kept eating (potato, carrots & last a banana) and finally I took her off the chair because there was nothing else to give her (yea, she complained).

I also BF before giving her solids on weekends... dh gives her a bottle before lunch during the week (once he forgot, she only ate 4oz out of her usual 12oz pumped milk - I told him that was a no-no).

Mama to Julia Maite 1/27/08 and #2 on the way - due January 2010 (Green Team)

Last edited by JuliaMaite; 09-11-2008 at 09:41 AM.
JuliaMaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
MRL2611
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dakota is 7 mo and eats maybe a tablespoon of solids a day- it is whatever I am eating at the time. She doesn't like pureed foods at all. She does nibble on wagon wheels and puffs too. She nurses every 2-3 hours still
Old 09-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Levi is 9.5 mo. He gets solids once a day, at lunch time, and he eats one container of veggies and sometimes 1/2 a container of fruit after that. He also munches on cheerios throughout the day because it makes him happy to pick them up and put them in his mouth Solids are kind of just a fun thing we do, I still consider the bulk of his nutrition the breastmilk.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
harleysheart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 9mo old DD eat 1-2 solids per day.
We just started this plan. It was that she would just take a couple bites of food every couple days starting at 6+ months and now our goal is 1 thing of baby food (size2) or self serving foods on her tray at her chair and she eats till she is done.
She is still nursing just as much as she always has. When we were first introducing foods I nursed her first before giving them. Now at dinner (that is when everyone is home so we do it then) I just sit her at the table in her high chair and either feed her or give her cute up foods we are eating.
My blog:The Frugal 5
harleysheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

my baby just turned 1 and doesnt really eat solids. He will sometimes get some bread, toast, a few spaghetti noodles, ect. but nothing steady. He REFUSED to eat baby pureed stuff and ONLY wants to eat what he can hold. he's not great at picking up and eating small cut up piueces, so it has to be something he can hold. I am not rushing him because he nurses like crazy.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
chataine
Is This Nirvana?
seller

My Mood:

my ds is 8 mos old..and gets a couple bites every few days..he mostly turns his head and looks at me like i am nuts..

if he were more into it though i would think once maybe twice a day, bf'ing first..at this age its really just for practice..they don't really need the nutrition from it.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
Kari78
Registered Users
seller

Cool, thanks for the replies! :-) So far my baby (almost 7 months old) eats twice a day, about 2 or 3 oz each time...so 4 to 6 oz total per day. He still nurses a LOT, in fact he's only this month started nursing on both breasts in one sitting...he'd basically never done that before.
Kari78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:43 AM   #10
luvmyfluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's good to see you posting this . My baby is 6 1/2 months old and is doing about the same as yours. I started solids earlier then stopped because she was super gassy. Now she's doing fine with it, are you just giving pureed baby food or any finger foods yet?
luvmyfluff is offline   Reply With Quote