Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
bigbelly
Registered Users

My Mood:
nationality required for adoption

My nationality is french but I am a legal resident, just not a citizen yet, can we still adopt a baby? My dh is american.
Also I have another question, does anyone of you know if let's say some couple I know is expecting a baby and decide to give the baby up for adoption and my dh and I would want to adopt their baby, how could we make that arrangement and where should we go for paperwork and all

Advertisement

bigbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
JenS
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: nationality required for adoption

From what I know there should be no problem with your nationality. I know with certainty it is not a for international adoption.

As for the scenario you presented - you'd need to conact an attorney that specializes in adoption, probably have the atty meet with both the couple and yourselves to see if you can reach an agreement, then get a homestudy completed.
JenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
BouncyBottomsInc
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had an agency turn us down bc my dh is not from the US and not a citizen. And when we tried to adopt in his country, I was told that I had to become a permanent resident and I wasnt allowed to leave the country with the child. They did offer to help us with an int. adoption, but couldnt say for sure if the US would issue the child a visa to come to the US!

"Walking by faith and NOT by sight..."
BouncyBottomsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
bigbelly
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BouncyBottomsInc View Post
I had an agency turn us down bc my dh is not from the US and not a citizen. And when we tried to adopt in his country, I was told that I had to become a permanent resident and I wasnt allowed to leave the country with the child. They did offer to help us with an int. adoption, but couldnt say for sure if the US would issue the child a visa to come to the US!

Oh really wow that doesn't sound too good
Oh well i know for sure that no matter what the Lord will work things out if it is meant to be.
Thanks for answering !
Old 09-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
bigbelly
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenS View Post
From what I know there should be no problem with your nationality. I know with certainty it is not a for international adoption.

As for the scenario you presented - you'd need to conact an attorney that specializes in adoption, probably have the atty meet with both the couple and yourselves to see if you can reach an agreement, then get a homestudy completed.

Thanks for your reply, that is great help
Old 09-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
greenMImama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can go to an agenct, like a catholic social services in your area, they will help facilitate an adoption for way less than most any attorney

240/2014
greenMImama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
bigbelly
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenMImama View Post
You can go to an agenct, like a catholic social services in your area, they will help facilitate an adoption for way less than most any attorney

Whoo hoo really?? I never ever heard of that before ! I wonder where i could find that around here though... Well thanks for the great info mama
Old 09-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
mom55
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would go to a social service agency that does adoptlons, and ask for help with the situation you asked about. They can do the counseling of both you and your spouse along with the other couple who are making an adoption plan for their baby. They will also be able to do the homestudy and follow up after the placement is made.
mom55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #9
TestifyToLove
Registered Users
seller

Its not an issue for domestic adoptions. For international adoptions, one parent has to be able to legally sponsor the visa. IIRC, you have to be a US citizen to sponsor someone for an immigrant visa. In which case, *you* could not sponsor a child for the orphan visa required for international adoption. But, because your DH is a US citizen, he absolutely could.

That said, if you cannot sponsor for the visa, then I have no idea if he could count your income towards household income for the sponsorship. If he didn't make 125% of the povery level for your family size including the child being adopted, it might complicate an international adoption. If that guess is correct (and its just a guess), it might require a co-sponsor for the visa or you might not be able to adopt internationally.

But, none of that applies to domestic adoptions. For that, you should be fine as a permenant resident.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Has your Dh been here long enough to apply for his citizenship?
Dh and I were foster parents and decided to adopt. He is a US/UK citizen and I was UK. I got my US citizenship before we applied to adopt, and good job too, the state wanted proof of nationality and need to see our US citizenship papers.
Now all the kids (adopted included) are Dual nationals.