Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
mtfbwy72
Squishy Knits
seller

My Mood:
BFing & Cold Meds?

I am very very very sick. I would really like to take "the good stuff" to make me feel better ratrher than the BF safe meds and give DS some pumped milk. If I do take the non-BF safe meds how long will it stay in my milk? The 4-6 hours like on the box? or do I have to wait longer to BF again. I tried looking on kellymom but couldn't find anything. I really don't have the energy to search the net. Hopfully one of you guys might know. I hate to bother the LLL leaders on the weekend.

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BFing & Cold Meds?

I wouldn't worry about "bothering" an LLL leader - that's what they are there for! And keep in mind that some meds cause a milk supply reduction, so you need to be very careful. You can check out Dr. Hale's website (he the author of "Medications and Mother's Milk" - your LLL leader should have a copy):
http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-b...s&access=guest

I don't use cold medicines ever, so I can't give you any suggestions. I use Xclear nasal spray, extra Vit C & zinc and homeopathic remedies (all of which are compatible w/ bfing). Good luck!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
mtfbwy72
Squishy Knits
seller

My Mood:
Re: BFing & Cold Meds?

Thanks but what I happen to choose at the store is supposed to be ok for BFing per kellymom. I'm still gonna give him some pumped milk to minimize what he gets. I'm not too worried about my supply. The meds look ok per kellymom and I've been BFing for a year. My supply has been pretty bullet proof. I think I could nurse triplets even at this point, LOL. He's such a needy eater when he's sick that it's like I'm nursing a newborn all over again and I'm leaking left and right :P. Literally! On both sides...hee hee.

Thanks for the help.