Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
All4Ella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
In desperate need of help!

Somehow, over the past few months, the people DH works with got it in his head that my body is manipulating the dairy protein I might eat making DD react to it (read: I am making DD allergic to dairy). None of them breastfed nor do they agree with breastfeeding at this age (only 10 months!).

I am begging for help finding reliable resources stating the facts about dairy allergies in breastfed children. I need something that can show him (and his co-workers), without a doubt, that I am NOT causing this trouble we are having with dairy. PLEASE!

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to give. Today, tomorrow, next month, anything will help.

Advertisement

**PATENT PENDING DESIGN!**
All4Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: In desperate need of help!

Well, I would check w/ La Leche League (www.llli.org) or kellymom.com for "facts". However, I can also tell you my personal experience. DD was terribly intolerant of dairy - I had to stop eating ANY dairy at all, her eczema was out of control. Once her skin cleared up, I re-introduced raw milk only, and she did NOT react at all. So, it turns out that she only reacts to pasteurized dairy proteins (if I "cheated" and had some pasteurized product, she would break out within 18 hours). So obviously it was not my body that was "manipulating" the protein, since she was fine w/ raw milk proteins. And once she started solids, the same thing continued (raw fine, past. bad). And once she weaned, same thing continued. So there ya' go - IMO, your body is NOT causing the problem, the pasteurized (modified) dairy proteins themselves are.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and keep in mind that your LO may not be "allergic", but simply intolerant - there is a big difference, so be careful about saying "allergic". An allergy is usually a much more serious situation than an intolerance - usually if a child is diagnosed as allergic, then you need to extremely diligent about avoiding the offending item.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
All4Ella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
Oh, and keep in mind that your LO may not be "allergic", but simply intolerant - there is a big difference, so be careful about saying "allergic". An allergy is usually a much more serious situation than an intolerance - usually if a child is diagnosed as allergic, then you need to extremely diligent about avoiding the offending item.
I used to nanny for an allergist, and she said the same thing, basically. At this age, they don't call it an allergy, but an intolerance (but with a really long name I can't even begin to remember). However, DD's first reaction is vomiting, and depending on how much I consumed, it leads to blood in her stools and acute weight loss with a whole list of other symptoms on the way. She reacts to something as simple as whey as the very last ingredient in a tiny bit of bread crumbs I consume (my mom's meatloaf - I don't eat much beef, but I did take a couple bites). I know there are worse reactions, but I don't consider hers to be "light" or "slight" in any way.

I did look on kellymom and LLL, but I have yet to find something that directly says that my body does not alter the protein. Probably because it is absurd to think it would.

I have not tried raw milk, though. I might just do that. I don't know what good it will do, after 9 long months of a non-dairy lifestyle, I am pretty accustomed to it. I tried a tiny bit of cheese the other day and thought it was bitter and gross. I'm not sure I will go back to eating that even if I could.

**PATENT PENDING DESIGN!**
All4Ella is offline   Reply With Quote