Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2006, 09:47 AM   #11
Luvmybabies
My two cuties :)
sitesupporter
seller

Re: Toddler Beds

Chloe went into a toddler bed at either 17 or 18mo (the exact age escapes my mind atm) and stayed in it until she was 4yrs 3mo. She was never one to get out of bed and play, she is all about sleep

Corey is almost 20mo and I am hoping that he'll stay in his crib until he's about 12 He is a troublemaker and doesn't sleep well, we have bunk beds in the kids room now, they will be broken down to twin beds when the time comes and he'll get the bed that was the top bunk (the one with the rail). He still co-sleeps with us most nights so I don't know when we'll actually do this.

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2006, 11:09 AM   #12
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I skipped the toddler bed and moved DD to a full size bed with rails at 16 months. I keep a baby gate up at her door to make sure that she doesn't wander.

She doesn't get down and play with toys at all though. She comes straight to the door when she gets down.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:34 PM   #13
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first dd had one & hated it! So we got a small single bed from my uncle. It was lower to the ground. She slept in that until my in laws redid their guest room to a sewing room & we got that twin bed. DD #2 we never bothered with a toddler bed, she went straight to the matching twin (when the sewing room moved to my dhs old bedroom, LOL). We bought Sofia a nice toddler bed at a yard sale this summer for less than $20 (it was a $70 bed originally). I only have one mattress & its still being used by her in her crib, but her room is big enough for the crib & the bed. She doesnt climb out so I havent bothered trying to move her yet. OH & dd #1 was 2 when she went to a big kid bed, dd #2 was 2.5yrs (because it was upstairs & our bedroom was downstairs).
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #14
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, we co-sleep and DS can't climb, so I can't help ya in those areas but I would suggest that you invest in some WARM PJ's. Its just me and DS in our queen sized bed and he is ALL over it during the night and never stays under the covers. Seriously, I'm going to have to do some heavy PJ shopping soon.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:17 AM   #15
serena22304
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ds1 went into a toddler bed when he was right around 2 1/2.
he only ever climbed out of his crib 1 time, we did it more for us, cause i was pregnant and we were going to need his crib. He took to his toddler bed well. but he does like to jump out and play in his room which can cause problems cause he is suppose to be sleeping.
we ended up clearing out his room, all he has in there is a crib and his bed. i dont want to take the risk of him hurting himself.
serena22304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:46 AM   #16
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We moved DD to a twin bed 2 weeks ago (so 16.5 months). We didn't have to move her (she wasn't escaping the crib) - I just needed somewhere to lie with her if she woke up during the night since the couch is not comfy and I'm too tired these days to stay up all night with her.

She has her toys in her room and rails on the sides of the bed to make sure she doesn't fall out (she moves a lot in her sleep). Otherwise, her room is pretty childproofed. The closet has bifold door locks, and there really isn't anything in there that she can reach that she can't get into.

Quote:
She doesn't get down and play with toys at all though. She comes straight to the door when she gets down.
Exactly the same for us.

Last edited by Severine; 11-21-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:37 AM   #17
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is 18months and hes been in a toddler bed (his crib changes) for a few months now (july/Aug??) I really dont remember, but its been awhile and he sleeps better now that he can get in and out by himself (plus its nice having him come into our room when he wakes up instead of screaming for us to come get him.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:49 AM   #18
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

We co-slept from birth, but by about 9 months, our queen size wasn't big enough, so we put dd's toddler bed right up against ours...so, tehcnically, since 9 months., although really, it's just one big bed now....we've never had any problems with the arrangement, although if the child is in a seperate room, i would certainly be sure that room is baby-prrofed, so that if baby gets up before parents, baby can play/explore safeyl (assuming your kid isn't like mine, and would actually do such a thing versus start screaming right away...)
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:25 PM   #19
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

miranda was 15 months old. I did leave the toys in her room. she's very good about going to bed though.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #20
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS2 started in his toddler bed at 20 months and has done great right from the start. In fact, he sometimes climbs into his bed if he is really sleepy! He doesn't get into anything. I let him take a few books into his room and maybe one toy. He doesn't open doors/doorknobs still so he just plays quietly in the morning if he wakes up before his big brother does (who usually comes to get him up!). My oldest never slept in a toddler bed. He wasn't ready for a bed because of some delays/cognitive dev. delay until 3.5. He is in a twin bed and does really well in it.