Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2006, 02:16 PM   #31
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: baptized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdpn View Post
This is us, too - we do not baptize infants, we believe that baptism is an outward display of an inward change in your life (beginning a personal relationship with Christ), and we also baptize by immersion. My children won't be baptized until they make their own professions of faith. I was baptized when I was 12, my DH when he was about 8...

We did "dedicate" our children, however. We have a "ceremony" at our church each Mother's Day where all the babies that were born in the last year are brought before the church and the parents and the church as a whole vow to raise them "in the nurture and admonition of the Lord." However, it has nothing to do with their personal salvation - just a promise as parents to raise them as God sees fit.
This is EXACTLY how we feel!

Advertisement

png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:24 PM   #32
Tasha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
i mean we need to save money to pay the priest and the church and then all the food..its alot that goes along with baptising here..
Sally, does your church charge you to have your dc baptised? You shouldn't be charged. Now as for the celebration afterwards, that did get expensive, since we had a BBQ!
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #33
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchambon View Post
Sally, does your church charge you to have your dc baptised? You shouldn't be charged. Now as for the celebration afterwards, that did get expensive, since we had a BBQ!
Me too!!! It's well worth it though... it's family reunion time!!! woohoo!

But that's interesting to have to pay someone for the Baptism. I know in some places it's like paying the pastor/preist/minister for a marriage ceremony (I know we paid the minister that did our non-denominational marriage).. but that's interesting.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:35 PM   #34
littlebean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelstaten View Post
We only dedicated our girls. Similar to what Hannah from the Bible did with Samuel. The church prays over them and the family.

When the child is old enough to make the decision for themselves and know why they want to be baptized then they can be baptized. It's a different age for every person since not everyone is ready for it at the same time.
this is what weve done with our 3 year old and plan to do with our 3 month old when dh returns. I was raised Catholic and so we had our first three baptized as babies just cause thats what I was taught I was supposed to do. After our 4th child was born I had begun exploring my faith and realized this is not something I believed needed to be done until he/she could make there decision on there own.
Good luck on your decision... I know it was a hard one for me.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:36 PM   #35
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa70 View Post
well... I have 'unique' views on religion, so no one be offended!

I hate organized religion. All of it. I did not say, however, that I hate religion. I think God doesnt care if we baptise our babies, or if we make the sign of the cross before we pray, or if go to church on sunday or not. I believe God cares more about the kind of life we live, the morals we teach our children, and our respect for our fellow man. To me, the rituals of religion are meaningless. Its the spirit in all of us that counts.

That being said, Celeste was baptised when she was about 6 months old. She and her cousin who is 8 months older were baptised together. I did it for my grandmother, because it meant alot to her and she nagged me all the time! LOL! The ritual itself didnt mean anything to me, but it did to her so I did it. Now she is asking about baptising dd#2, and I havent decided yet if I want to.
I feel very much the same way about religion... DS hasn't been/won't be baptized unless he decides one day that he wants to, but its up to him because its not something we as his parents feel strongly about. But I know how you feel about the whole MIL trying to force her views on you. As soon as I got pregnant, (step)MIL started freaking out and kept bugging us about finding a church (I forgot which religion she said because I know nothing about it, and its HER religion) because "if you have a baby, you have to start going to church". WTF? That's so hypocritical if you ask me. And my baby isn't going to be raised the way SHE wants, kwim? If your MIL wants to raise more babies her way, tell her to get her own!
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #36
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

I had dd baptised at 7mo. I waited till then b/c it was a convenient date when all of the out of state family could attend. (Our churche does not charge for the service or the classes beforehand).

I liked it b/c it forced me to think about raising my daughter in Faith.

BUT, like anything else, this is a PARENTAL decision. Your MIL is not the Parent so tell her to 'er be quiet.

reminds me of a post on another board I just read where the MIL cut the child's hair for the first time while mom wasnt looking on Thanksgiving.

MY child. I make decisions. NOT you. and if I make the wrong ones and I raise horrible people, I'll be the one to suffere the consequences.

where does dh stand in this??
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:23 PM   #37
momx2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well...I did...kind of. lol

dh and his family are buddhists...and traditionally, babies are "baptised" or blessed at 100 days old. My mil took it upon herself to make an appt. to have my first dd blessed and ordered me to show up with dd and dh. I was livid. Who was she to determine what religion my baby would be baptised/blessed in and to order me to show up?

I talked about it with my mom .. who really told me to calm down. who cares what religion she's baptised/blessed in? I mean...an extra baptism or blessing isn't really gonna hurt right? and you're gonna raise your kids the way that you want to raise them with your own religious beliefs regardless of what they may have been baptised/blessed in.

So, with that thought in mind...I allowed my MiL to bless my dd as buddhist...(i'm christian) ... and I'm raising her with christian values and beliefs and send her to an episcopalian church. It made my MiL happy to have her blessed as buddhist and it stopped bothering me since I'm raising dd as christian. No biggie.
momx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #38
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Absolutely not. I have no way of knowing what religion my son is going to be when he grows up. While I would love for him to be pagan, he might not be. So I have no right (IMO) to "induct" him into any religion. We will, however, have a Wiccaning, which is more to ask the Lady to watch over him and to help US to raise him in love. It in no way endoctrinates him into Wicca.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:28 PM   #39
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nope, not either of my kiddos. I'm Celtic Pagan, Dh doesn't know what he is but is leaning towards either Asatru or Buddhism (yes I know how incredibly different they are but it's dh's thing ). I was not involved in any religious organization when ds1 was born, though when he was two and I had been attending a UU church for a while we had a little ceremony welcoming him into the church comunity. When ds2 is about 2 we will do the same for him. It basically is just a way for the church to get together and celebrate the kids and a way for the kids to get to know the other memebers. It is also about the time that I start letting them go into the nursery, so it is kind of a welcome to the community in that way as well. They can't become full memebers until they desire to do so as young adults. I don't really believe in baptisms and such because I don't feel comfortable choosing a religion for my children. As moonprysm said I would love for my kids to be pagan, but they might not be. UU's are of every religion, and the dedication ceremony is really just about community, not religion. When they are old enough they can have what ever baptism, sacrament, dedication, ritual scarrification, ect they choose to believe in.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:36 PM   #40
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I'm Christian and my dh is Muslim. Our kids are not baptized because we both believe that it is an adult decision that kids aren't capable (maturity-wise) of making. We will let our children decide when to take that important step.