Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2006, 11:09 PM   #51
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Re: baptized?

I actually don't know about this one. DH and I were both raised christian, but I wouldn't consider either of us to be christian as adults. We have alot of things from different religions that make up our life now, and some of them are from christianity. I was Christened at birth and its kind of a tradition in our family. I'm not sure what I want to do now. We have a christening gown that we were given but I don't know whether I want to use it for a real christening or for a ceremony of our own. Does anyone know if there are any welcoming ceremonies that are non-religious?

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2006, 11:13 PM   #52
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

My daughter was baptized when she was 7 months old, in the Catholic Church. My Mom's family are all devout Catholics and my Grandma hinted that she would like to see Emily baptized when she was here visiting that year.

Shortly thereafter, we began attending a non-denom Christian church and will now leave it up to the remainder of our clan to decide when the time is right for them to make that commitment. We strongly believe it is a personal decision and they will know when they are ready. Both my husband and I were baptized as babies in the Catholic Church, but made the decision as adults to be baptized in water a few years ago. It was the most amazing experience I have ever had and I can't wait to enjoy that with our children when they make that decision for themselves.

ETA: We also do infant dedication, and like Jessica said, is more for the parents than the baby. We make a promise to God to raise our children up in the Lord.

Last edited by tararaboomdeea; 11-27-2006 at 11:16 PM.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:19 PM   #53
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tararaboomdeea View Post
My daughter was baptized when she was 7 months old, in the Catholic Church. My Mom's family are all devout Catholics and my Grandma hinted that she would like to see Emily baptized when she was here visiting that year.

Shortly thereafter, we began attending a non-denom Christian church and will now leave it up to the remainder of our clan to decide when the time is right for them to make that commitment. We strongly believe it is a personal decision and they will know when they are ready. Both my husband and I were baptized as babies in the Catholic Church, but made the decision as adults to be baptized in water a few years ago. It was the most amazing experience I have ever had and I can't wait to enjoy that with our children when they make that decision for themselves.
Catholics baptize with water too so I don't understand the difference you infer. As long as the baptism is in the Trinitarian format (using water while saying the words "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit") it's a valid baptism no matter the denomination.

I apologize to all if I seem argumentative. I'm trying my best to form sentances that don't come across as argumentative, as I really do want to understand the differences each person holds as to their view on baptism and I've learned ALOT reading through this thread. Very obviously, I'm a devout Catholic and I've only seen two other Baptisms outside the Catholic Church. So I can't even pretend to know what it's like. So thank you to all of you for bearing with me and not sniping me if I've said something you don't agree to.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:22 PM   #54
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My parents allowed me to choose the religion I felt most appropriate and I will help my children do the same. Whether or not they choose my religion makes no difference to me.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:30 PM   #55
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdartwife View Post
Catholics baptize with water too so I don't understand the difference you infer. As long as the baptism is in the Trinitarian format (using water while saying the words "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit") it's a valid baptism no matter the denomination.

I apologize to all if I seem argumentative. I'm trying my best to form sentances that don't come across as argumentative, as I really do want to understand the differences each person holds as to their view on baptism and I've learned ALOT reading through this thread. Very obviously, I'm a devout Catholic and I've only seen two other Baptisms outside the Catholic Church. So I can't even pretend to know what it's like. So thank you to all of you for bearing with me and not sniping me if I've said something you don't agree to.
What I meant by we were baptized in water, literally means IN water. We got into a giant bathtub and our Pastor dunked us. Like someone else stated, it's imersion baptism.

ETA: I didn't consider our baptism as babies, or my daughters, invalid, either. It was just important for us to be baptized as adults, to make the decision for ourselves, to show outwardly how we had been changed in Christ. I consider my baptism as a baby like a dedication and my baptism as an adult my decision, kwim?

I'll share some pics so you can see Dh and I were in the tank together. I was dunked first, then he was.

The first pic os of me giving my testamony. Sharing with the entire congregation how God had changed my life and why I chose to be baptized. I didn't have to say anything, but I wanted to share The second pic is of me being dunked. It symbolizes your "old life" being washed away, and when you come up out of the water, it signifies a new life in Christ. Excuse the not so flattering pics-dig the puffy cheeks??

*edited to remove pictures*

Last edited by tararaboomdeea; 11-28-2006 at 09:56 AM.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:36 PM   #56
grace134
Registered Users
seller

I was raised by "devout athiests." Seriously. That said, I've developed my own sort of quirky views of religion, god, deity, etc., and when I feel like going to church I go UU. DH was raised Baptist, and still considers himself to be Baptist, but he goes to church less than I do! We're going back East to visit his family in a couple months, and have discussed doing a ceremony for DS (who will be a bit over 1), but I'm not familiar with it enough to know exactly what it is. I thought we were talking about having him baptized, but now I'm thinking maybe it was christened? Or dedicated?
I figure it's not going to cause any damage, and it will certainly make the in-laws happy.
grace134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:43 PM   #57
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Ahh ... I understand... I've been the sponsor of many people that have come into the Catholic Church as adults and we do that too. It's actually left up to the person as to weather they want to be "dunked", partially immersed or have water poured on their head. I think my confusion is based in the fact that as long as the prayer is said as water is being poured (or in your case, dunked) it's a valid baptism. For example, if a person that was Baptised as a Baptist wants to become Catholic, we recognize that Baptism as valid and wouldn't "re-Baptise" them, kwim? That's what I meant when I said that as long as it's done in the Trinitarian format, it's valid no matter the denomination.

Thanks for clarifying it for me... I thought that's what you had meant so I appreciate what you've shown.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:49 PM   #58
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Im Lutheran (dh married into Lutheran) and ds was baptised but it was later as I wanted him baptized in the church that my father, myself and my brother were all baptized in plus my parents and my dh and I were all married in the church, so we held off until we were back closer to home and he was baptized at 11 1/2 months
Old 11-28-2006, 12:14 AM   #59
kingdink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are WELS Lutheran and we had both DS baptised the day after they were born. No, we didn't think they'd go to hell if they were to die, but I felt more comfortable with them being baptised sooner rather than later. Baptism allows the Holy Spirit to come to your child, but like any other person, they don't have to accept it (free-will), so it's not really forcing a religion on them.

Someone was shocked that pastors get paid. The pastors in our synod all get paid, as far as I know. For most their full-time job is being a pastor and working for the church and they also went to school for 8 years, so probably have some student loans, as well.

JoJee Creations Custom pencil portraits and knitted goods
kingdink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:14 AM   #60
jkelstaten
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdink View Post

Someone was shocked that pastors get paid. The pastors in our synod all get paid, as far as I know. For most their full-time job is being a pastor and working for the church and they also went to school for 8 years, so probably have some student loans, as well.

I think what she meant was that they were paid specifically for a baptismal ceremony. (Not just paid to work for the church) Being paid for being a pastor is Biblical (as all the tithe went to the priesthood), but I think the question was because someone said they had to pay the minister to preform the baptism. (That's what I got out of it anyway )