Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
libranbutterfly
Registered Users

MIL Vent

I had talked to MIL about buying a Britax for one of my girls for Christmas. She is usually very supportive and helps out alot (She bought alot of DD's CDs) I explained why they were safer, how they would last longer, etc. She goes shopping and gets DD1 a Dora Power Wheels (which I DO NOT want, esp with cartoon charactors my DD doesnt even know) and now is saying that the car seat costs too much. I can't find the one she bought anywhere online (it's a red vw beetle w/ dora on it), but she just paid at least $70 for a toy we dont want, that will rarely (if ever) get used, but cant get something to keep my child safe? WTF? It wouldn't be so bad if she hadn't been supportive in the past (like my parents, who keep buying me expired car seats at yard sales and are mad at me for wanting a new car when my current vehicle has cost us $500 in brake parts in 5 monthes and the sliding door keeps falling off) WWYD? DD already has a power wheels at her house that someone gave us, we just need a battery charger for it, we dont have space for anything like that, and I would much rather her have a trike or a cozy coupe, or even better a SAFE carseat! I know this is confusing I am just so mad!

Advertisement

libranbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Re: MIL Vent

mama! sometimes MIL/mothers just dont see eye to eye with the mamas of there grandbabies! we KNOW those carseats are the safest ones but they raised kids in an era where carseats werent widely used. so to see a $200+ one is a HUGE thing to wrap their minds around! personally i would just suck it up, say thank you for the gift and then take it back. you can say later on that it just wasnt right for you DD or something else.

we are going to get into similar issues with my MIL buying joe REAL clothes bc his longies are UGLY the good thing is that she is in TX so when we get home its ALL going back BUT im NEVER going to tell her!

good luck mama
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #3
kgsd
Registered Users
seller

That is hard. Parents are weird about things sometimes.

DH and I decided to wait until after the holidays to start Katie on solid food (we will be traveling and we think it will be easier if she's just BFed). DH, especially, doesn't want her to eat solid food yet.

SOO, on Thanksgiving, my mom fed Katie some mashed potatoes off her plate. DH freaked out to me privately and asked me to say something to my mom. THAT was awkward. (My mom is a family physician so it's REALLY hard to tell her that I don't agree with something she's doing with Katie. And I can't blame it on "the doctor told us...")

Anyway, can you take it back (without her knowing)?
kgsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:45 AM   #4
libranbutterfly
Registered Users

Shes at my house every day, so I dont think I could
libranbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:56 AM   #5
jkelstaten
Registered Users

IMO, she is the gifter to you can't really dictate what she buys. You can decide if your DD will actually use the item, but if she wants to spend her money on something like that it's her choice. You *suggested* an item, and she *decided* on something else. Besides $70 for that toy versus over $200 for the car seat is a big difference. And she's not 'required' to buy anything. I would be thankful that she thought of your DD and if you feel it's necessary figure out where the car came from, return it, and use the money to buy the carseat.

(I'm having a hormonal day so if this didn't come out right, I'm sorry.....I'm not trying to pick a fight )