Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
Registered Users
Diaper Rash

Tanner has an ear infection and is teething and is on an antibiotic which has made him poop more. Now he has a horrible, HORRIBLE, diaper rash. I can't get it to heal. I was just using Desitin for the 1st 2 days before it got bad. Then I went to our local Wal-Mart (small town) to get some Boudreaux (ms) Butt Paste and of course they didn't have any. The pharmacy had Flanders behind the counter but it is an OTC diaper cream. It doesn't seem to be helping either. Any suggestions?

RobinOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Diaper Rash

try to get some lactinex from your pharmacy. it is OTC granules that reduce the pooping. Also try baking soda baths 3 or 4 times a day. And try putting some liquid mylanta directly on the bad spots.

I hate to say this, but you may have to use sposies for a couple of days to keep the urine wicked well enough to keep the raw places from getting worse. g/l
Sunny mom to Braylen, Kyan, & Kynsie BBG Triplets 11/06/05
sunshinebabies3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Registered Users

Layer mylanta, neosporine or hydrocortizone and then a thick diaper cream such as desitine or balmex. I did just discover bag balm as well-that stuff is awesome!
Brenda~WIFE to Will for 22 yrs, April 5, 1986~SAHM to Derek 18, Michael 13.5~Fostermom to newborns awaiting adoption
fostermomcchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:49 AM   #4
Registered Users

If it's caused by an antibiotic, it could be a yeast rash. (When antibiotics kill the healthy gut bacteria, bad bacteria and yeasts can take over. The frequent pooping is a sign that the body is trying to "flush out" bad bacteria.) Our dr says the only OTC remedy for a yeast rash is antifungal cream like Lamisil or Lotrimin (look in athlete's foot remedies). This has always worked on ds's rashes when nothing else does. Sometimes we use an zinc oxide cream on top of the antifungal cream so the diaper doesn't wipe it off. HTH!
Mom to James 3/27/05, Samuel 3/26/08
Choice Soaps - 20% off unscented Guinness Stout soap in October 2010!
ChoiceSoaps is offline   Reply With Quote