Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #31
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: have you ever...

I haven't. But my #$%@%$^& ILs drove my FOUR MONTH OLD in a truck with NO carseat. They defended themselves by saying "we drove slow". Umm, it was a 30 minute ride on a busy highway. Oh, and they called me while they were doing this and I was three hours away picking up stuff after hurricane Katrina so there was nothing I could do except scream bloody murder over the phone and have a nervous freaking break down.

They have only seen DS once since then, over a year ago...

Advertisement

Last edited by urchin_grey; 11-29-2006 at 02:40 PM.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:42 PM   #32
4BoysMom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by A'smommy View Post

Someone please enlighten me: What's the rule, for example, in an airport shuttle bus? Like from a outlying parking lot to the terminal? What's the rule for riding a bus on city streets? Or a subway?

In rural West Texas we don't have such creatures....
Well our city buses have no seat belts so you CAN'T use a car seat in them. For me anything with a seat belt facing the right way (you can't use child seats on seats facing backwards or sideways (station wagon backs, or vw vans with sideways facing seats) will have a child seat in it or the child isn't going anywhere and we avoid non belted options like the city bus.

Haven't joined the swagbucks craze yet? I've earned $85 in amazon gcs, so can you!
Easy Lunch Boxes - The Best LunchBoxes Easylunchboxes.com
4BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:57 PM   #33
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have. DH's aunt, cousin, and grandmother live on the "road" next to us (it's actually a gravel driveway with their 3 houses on it) and I'll put DS in my lap and drive to their house. And I had DS in the MT and it was cold outside once. We were coming out of Walmart and going to Chick Filet which was in the same shopping center, so I just jumped in the front seat with him.

I have done the leaning over the carseat to nurse thing. I figure it's better than me taking him out of the seat, and where we live (and with a DS that never goes longer than 2 hours without nursing), it's impossible to never be in the car when it's time to eat.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:31 PM   #34
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never. My SIL on the other hand goes in the back of the minivan, pulls her son out of his car seat and nurses him while her DH drives. That is so freaking unsafe, if he got into an accident that baby would fly through the windshield.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:40 PM   #35
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would never do this now but I will admit that when I was 18 I had a job as a nanny for a family that had twin 4 year old girls. One of my duties was constantly transporting the kids to all their different activities...scouts, cheerleading, tumbling, swimming, tennis, ect.. after doing this for a year the family (a doctor and his lawyer wife) had another baby. So of course I had to take the baby with me too plus he had activities as well..baby gym, infant swimming, mommy and me (yes I played the mommy part in mommy and me). The thing about this is that I only had a two seat car (Fiero). The parents knew this and didn't care. They told me to just let the two girls share the one seat and lay the baby on the floor at their feet. As he got bigger and more active I would pull the seatbelt around all three of them at once in the seat.I did this for two years until I finally bought a car with a back seat. Thankfully I was never in any accidents.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #36
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

NEVER.
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:23 PM   #37
elijahsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMel View Post
In a case of an emergency yes I would but other than that no.

We just went on an 8 hour trip w/ Lily who doesn't like to ride in cars. I had to learn how to lean over and BF her. It worked though kept her happy (for the most part).
I did that too(when we were in the middle of nowhere for about 5-10min) we went to Arizona (8hours away) and twice I had to lean over to nurse DS back to sleep. I personally would never imagine not buckleing him for ANY reason, that said I can't tell you how I'd feel in the case of an emergency like PP said. I'm pretty paranoid though so it would have to be BAD.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:48 PM   #38
Getz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No way. I was in a head on collision w/ my 2 yr old nephew a few years ago. An elderly lady was drivng the wrong way in my lane and there was nothing I could do to avoid it. I had nightmares for weeks of my nephew flying out of the car seat and into the windshield!

I am sure in the case of a severe emergency (as in baby not breathing) I probably wouldn't take the time to use the seat. But every other time, even if it is to go 1 block, I will use the car seat.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:35 PM   #39
libranbutterfly
Registered Users

I had an emergency recently (DD fell out of our sling and onto concrete) and I buckkles her into her carseat. I was thankful she was still in the infant carrier, they kept her in it the whole exam until they were sure she would be okay to move.
libranbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:53 AM   #40
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope & we havent had an emergency that I felt required me to do it either. I do let my 8yr old (105#s & tall!) sit without a booster before she turned 8 (only since august). Everyone else in my house is required to be appropriately strapped in at all times no matter where we are going. And when my mom has my dd's I leave car seats for them.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote