Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2008, 12:38 AM   #21
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: DS was born at 35 weeks with immature lungs.. how come others are so lucky??

I understand. My son was born at 37 weeks and was intubated. He also had to have surfactant twice. He weighed 7 pounds, 9 ounces. My water broke at 3 months but I apparently resealed. According to the doctors, I always had enough water after I resealed and never had any problems. He was a c section due to being breach. He was dx with Severe Respiratory Distress Syndrome shortly after birth, which is really rare in children who are born full term. Some preemies who were born at 32 weeks were born with strong lungs. Although my son is very healthy now, it still brings me to tears. The doctors kept saying they don't know why he had that and that it is very rare in full term babies.

Oh - my other son (age 5) has Aspergers as well. We have a lot in common

Advertisement

ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:53 AM   #22
mikoto127
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DS was born at 35 weeks with immature lungs.. how come others are so lucky??

DS was born at 39 weeks, 5 days and had to be on oxygen for the first 24 hours...and has a heart murmur. Not the same, but I do understand the frustration with having a full term baby (or almost) that is not perfectly healthy when others can have a kid at 32 weeks or so, and nothing wrong other than a little small to you mama!
Old 09-27-2008, 07:50 AM   #23
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hey Mama...I completely understand where you are coming from. ((hugs)) Both of my babies were born prematurely due to severe pre-e and HELLP. My DD was born at 28 weeks and had a ton of health problems. She was 2.11 lbs, was on an oscillator, then the vent, CPAP, and nasal canula...of course she went back and forth from one to the other quite a few times too. You know how they, preemies take one step forward then two steps back. She had a PDA (the valve in her heart that didn't close), severe apnea and bradycardia (was on a heart/apnea monitor for 1 year and 2 weeks), had 3 blood transfusions and was in the NICU for 3 months. She is 7 years old now and perfectly healthy but I am no where near being over the heartache that that time period brought. Then we had our DS almost 5 years later....

He was born 6 weeks early and I thought he was going to be fine because he was 5.14!! Well he aspirated while being taken out from the c-section. Within 4 hours he was on a vent and struggling horribly. He was very, very ill with a serious case of pneumonia. 3.5 weeks later he was able to come home with me and though it wasn't 3 months like my DD, it was just as difficult to see my baby fight for his life and hear his Drs tell me that I was very lucky because he was much sicker than I realized and there was a serious chance that I could have lost him.

Like you, I thought that a baby at that gestation would have been ok and able to come home with me. Oh how I long to take a baby home from the hospital right away. Or to be able to hold a baby of mine before they are either 9 or 12 days old. I try my hardest to remind myself that I am so blessed to have them here with me because they could have had different outcomes. Thank God that they didn't!

Wow, I have written a book here! I just want you to know that I do understand your pain, even 15 years later because I don't see mine ever going away either. Perhaps our situations are just more reasons to remind us just how blessed we are with our children?
Old 09-27-2008, 10:38 AM   #24
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

It's for the same reason that so many women have healthy babies full term, but sometimes have to have them in the NICU. Some babies are healthier and luckier than others.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #25
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

I have been on both sides of the fence and after that I am no longer upset, jealous, or bitter about it...only blessed to have the healthy children I have today.

I have had my first at 37 weeks and my last 2 were 33 weekers (with PTL and in and out of the hospital since 27 weeks). My first was a GIRL and she was in the NICU with the suck, swallow, breathe problems, jaundice, and she couldn't regulate her body temp. I just knew my DS would be there longer since he was a boy and at the same gestation, I was mentally prepared for a 2+ week NICU stay...and a miracle happened and he never went even for observation, I did have the steroid shots but I was told it was almost unheard of for a 33 weeker even with steroids to go home. I now have new motivation and hope to keep my next one in longer because it was amazing bringing him home. I don't have harsh memories of the NICU with DD though, I remember a sleeping, peaceful baby who I spent tons of uninterrupted time with- no TVs, visitors, people, or distractions, just a rocker in a room where we could spend time together...of course I'd have rather had her at home, but I cherish the memories I had in the NICU too, it has made me a stronger person I am today. God will never allow me to experience something he does not think I can handle, and I can only grow and learn from the experiences (and miracles) he's given me
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote