Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
Registered Users
I don't think these aren't accidents...need help

LOL...I messed up the title....It should read, "I don't think these ARE accidents...need help"

My daughter is 20 months oldand had been showing all the signs of being ready. We started potty training the second week of August. She was pretty much trained within 10 days (0-1 accidents a day). Well now she is having NON-accidents more often. I call them non-accidents because of the circumstances.

These non-accidents only happen at home. They only happen when it is her and I alone. They also only happen when she hasn't received my undivided attention (like I am doing the dishes). So let me describe when it happens. She will come stand in front of me and say,"Pee Pee." Grab her crotch. Pee a huge puddle on my floor (this happens faster than I can even look up). Then says, "Pee Pee....floor" She finishes the whole situation by pointing and laughing.

I have seen her real accidents and this is most certainly not one of them. What can I do to make her stop this? I don't believe in punishing her for accidents; so I have no clue how to handle this but it isn't an accident. Please send some advice....LOL

Last edited by jtambone; 09-07-2008 at 11:10 AM.
jtambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: I don't think these aren't accidents...need help

Oh dear, it does sound as though she knows what she is doing and saying "mum, pay some attention to me!"

I would take her by the hand, go the potty, and say, "pee-pee belongs in here, not on the floor. Next time, tell me you have to go, and I'll bring you to the potty." Then have her clean the spill up, have her undress herself, wash, and put fresh bottoms on, saying something along the lines of "this is a lot of work, isn't it? Next time, let's go to the potty in time" There is no punishment - no anger in your voice - merely a logical consequence of wetting oneself, which is her having to take responsibility to clean up the mess. Maybe sound a bit sad.
The fact that she laughs means she'll make a pleasurable game out of it - you are not paying her attention, doing housework, she pees and laughs, you now pay her attention and clean it up, she repeats it later. So be careful not to laugh, or get too excited about it, either of those responses might reinforce the behaviour.
Good luck!
betty14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Registered Users
Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Re: I don't think these aren't accidents...need help

Wow. I cant imagine what I would do. I ttally agre with prior post and would have her take resonsibility. I know my son really reads my tone of voice and gets very upset if he even senses that I am angry or frustrated. Stay stay calm and reinforce, reinforce, reinforce!!!! Hang in there... this too shall pass!
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote