Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
megamuffin0225
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Where do I go from here?? - 16 m/o PLing

My second daughter is 16 months old. She always wants to do what her older sister (nearly 4) does, so a few weeks ago I pulled out the little Baby Bjorn potty and put it next to the toilet. I wasn't thinking too much of it, just that she might have fun sitting on it once in awhile, but I certainly wasn't pushing her to use it.

Well, nearly every time she sat on it, she would sort of hop up and down for quite a few minutes and then pee. For the most part, I think it was coincidence - she still pees small amounts often. But we would praise her and she loved wiping herself etc.

Then tonight as I was running the bath water, she was standing on the bath rug and started to pee. I immediately said "pee pee" and placed her on her potty. A few seconds later, she finished what she had started...in the potty. She made the connection between the muscles and peeing. Immediately after the bath, she couldn't wait to sit back on the potty. She started pushing and pushed out more pee. Then she kept pushing and pushed out stool. We wiped and emptied out the potty, then she sat down and managed to push out even more pee (small amounts, but still). She definitely had it figured out.

So where do I go from here? Is she really ready to start the process? I am 11 weeks pregnant, so it is very appealing to have her mostly out of diapers by 2, but even so, it is a lot of work to be constantly putting her on and off the potty. What kind of progress could we be expected to make and would it be worth the effort? Any advice appreciated and thank you!

Advertisement

Last edited by megamuffin0225; 08-20-2008 at 11:15 AM.
megamuffin0225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
megamuffin0225
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Where do I go from here?? - 16 m/o PLing

Wow, the response is overwhelming. I can see this is a board that doesn't move too fast. Oh well, we'll figure it out!
megamuffin0225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
RockinClothBunz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd did the same thing, sort of. She was into what her brother was doing so she would run to the bathroom, take off her dipe, stand next to the potty, and pee on the floor! LOL! She did this at about 17 months old. Since then I just tried to put her on the potty every time I went or before/after naps and bedtime and before/after eating time. She is now 21 months old and in undies for a few weeks now. She still has some accidents but does pretty well. I invested in a portable potty that I keep in the car and that has helped so much! Best investment I've made in a while.
Auntie to Trentin 5-31-09
RockinClothBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Cmeyer
Registered Users

My Mood:

I can't believe there are no response to this either. I know my daughter was about the same like that too. made the connection really early. I bet you can get her trained before 2. We are still working on it. She does great if she's nakd, but has regressed a bit since my son was born. She's had days with frequent accidents, we've had tantrums over the potty you name it i've tried it and it just isn't working to go without a diaper when we go out, or even play outside.
At her age, i had my DD sign to me when she had to go, and we had alot of success. Andi for sure thought she would be trained so early, but i was working as well, and i think that made it more difficult.
so i guess just keep at it and do what you are doing. but expect some regresson when your baby is born. I know it's tough to be running all the time,but it'll be worth it for less poppy diaper changes. lol
ZoŽ Nevaeh born April 21st/10 my Breech VBAC
Cmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
aomatsu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree. My dd is the same way at 20 months, I have been sticking her on whenever I remember (which is often because I am pg too), and she is holding it now and going when I take her. She's very aware and only has less than one accident a day. I still put her in diapers for naps and when we are out, I just still try to remember to take her. I say just find a way to give her practice without it becoming a huge hassel for either of you, and expect regression from time to time like the pp said. GL!
aomatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
JaeCicc
Registered Users

My son is PL at 22 months. We've been "playing around" so to speak with it for awhile, but he's just figured out *how* to pee on the potty in the last week.

The tips I've found most helpful are to switch to trainers full-time (though I get 50-50 split advice about what to do while sleeping). There's lots of different kinds and you can pick what works for you depending on your DD, how often you want to take her, and how reliable she is.

Also, see about getting her a potty that she can get onto without your help, if possible.

Another big thing is teaching her the skills so that she can do the whole process without help. Obviously, when talking about young kids like this they still will need help for awhile, but my son gets his stool for the potty, tries to take off/put on his pants, can do his undies pretty well alone, takes his potty seat off, flushes, puts the lid down, moves his stool to the sink...all that kind of thing. Obviously I'm right there with him, but he is learning how to do it and it also makes him feel very accomplished.
JaeCicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:59 PM   #7
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD started showing an intrest in PL at about 14 months. She goes in now and sits wiht out us really saying anything. We are not pushing her but if she wants to go I will let her. We are just kinda winging it.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #8
guava64
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's great to hear stories from the trenches! I was kind of surprised at the lack of responses, but then I saw that most of the threads say the same thing... when do I start?

I have a 15 month old and we have owned a potty for about a month now. I have a brother that is doing EC with his 3 month old, so I at least decided to read the chapter of diaper free babies about EC with toddlers. So far, my dd likes to sit on the toilet and make a peeing sound, but other than that, we're working on awareness. Your story and the posts from other mamas make me feel like we're on the way - I wish you the best of luck!

We are just kind of 'winging it' as well - but instinct usually serves me pretty well!

Best of luck!
guava64 is offline   Reply With Quote