Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #11
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Dinner Time - Toddler takes 1 hour to eat!

here's how I handle it - dinner was becoming a huge issue for me. taking an hour when she's supposed to be getting ready for bed. not eating, just playing and talking.

I started setting the timmer for a reasonable amt of time once she started to play w/her food. so once she starts playing around, I'll warn her a few times and if she doesnt eat, then I set the timer for 10 more minutes. if she starts eating consistently again, I turn the timer off. if not, then mealtime is over.

generally, she has to eat some of whats on her plate before she gets something else. if its something that she really wants like applesauce, I may require a few bites of something else. if she asks for something, she needs to finish it before moving on to something else. So tonight, she asked for 2nds of chicken. I gave her more. she took 2 bites and then wanted more rice. I declined. she could finish her chcken and potatoes first.

Advertisement

Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #12
lovemyryley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say just be glad she's eating. My 2 year old has some food issues as well as a speech development issue, that we've just started getting therapy for... The first thing they told me was "let him play with his food" it will make him more likely to try it. As for sitting there for an hour... let her. But if she sits there for an hour and its now time for bed then she looses her Special before bed time Story, TV, Playtime, etc. When you are done with your meal then get up and do what you have to do. I wouldnt even ask her if she is done. I'd say, Ok well we only have a little bit of time left to play so when you are done I'll be over here. Also, try only giving her VERY small amounts of food. If you are doing applesauce, beans, rice, and carrots. then give her 2 or 3 pieces of each fruit/veggie and a small amout of applesauce.... If she finishes her sauce then wants more but hasnt touched her veggies then I'd say something like "you need one bite of each other food before we can have more applesauce... Try playing a color game with her, and tell her that you need to eat one color of the rainbow every day to be healthy. Try to make it fun for her to want to eat the foods that she is resisting. It sounds to me like you are making abig deal out of it and she happens to be getting a kick out of the song and dance you are doing over her. Try just letting her do her own thing at dinner for a week just to see what happens.

lovemyryley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
cassmama
Registered Users
seller

This is a VERY old thread, but I am having a similar issue and would like to get some fresh opinions. DD is almost 3 and taking her sweet time to eat. I usually do my beat not to rush her or "force" her to eat, but she claims she is still hungry after like an hour! Example, breakfast this morning. We had cereal and oranges. She ate like 3 bowls of cereal and two cuties, but it took a good 45min to accomplish this. Meanwhile I'm practically wrestling my 5mo old because he is hungry and tired. I'm a big advocate of together-mealtimes, so I don't want to just get up and leave her for half an hour. I also try to let her eat to her own hunger, and she's perfectly healthy. But sometimes it seems like a bit much, I do.t think she fully understands the concept of hunger. Anyway, and new thoughts or ideas?
BWing, BFing , CDing, and finally preggo with Miles, baby #2!! [/SIZE]

cassmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassmama
This is a VERY old thread, but I am having a similar issue and would like to get some fresh opinions. DD is almost 3 and taking her sweet time to eat. I usually do my beat not to rush her or "force" her to eat, but she claims she is still hungry after like an hour! Example, breakfast this morning. We had cereal and oranges. She ate like 3 bowls of cereal and two cuties, but it took a good 45min to accomplish this. Meanwhile I'm practically wrestling my 5mo old because he is hungry and tired. I'm a big advocate of together-mealtimes, so I don't want to just get up and leave her for half an hour. I also try to let her eat to her own hunger, and she's perfectly healthy. But sometimes it seems like a bit much, I do.t think she fully understands the concept of hunger. Anyway, and new thoughts or ideas?
Some kids just take longer. After an hour it's ok to get up to feed your other child
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote