Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
nethridge
Registered Users
seller

Is children's benadryl safe?

So my 7mo DS is having (what I believe) to be allergy issues. It started yesterday evening right after I vacuumed the carpets in the bedrooms. Lots of sneezing, then a runny nose, then coughing (from the drainage). He was sooo congested yesterday night, and now again tonight. We have his humidifier going and I put some menthol drops in the water. I already have him on probiotics and I introduced some sodium ascorbate, which is a really buffered vitamin C.

My question is, Would it be safe to give him a little benadryl to unstuff his nose so he can get some rest?
I know the FDA is saying children shouldn't have anything if they are under the age of 2, and that you should look for more natural alternatives. Besides what I am doing, I don't know any other 'natural' ways to keep his nose from getting stuffy besides letting him sleep on my shoulder. But I don't know if I can do that ALL night.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Kylie&Logan'sMommy
A Mommy's Work is Never Done
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is children's benadryl safe?

idk but i know the saline drops for the nose work wonders. i think it is called little noses?
Old 10-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
piccolo41099
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My youngest had a sever allergic reaction at 7 months to a food item, and they gave him benadryl in the ER among other drugs.
I had to give him benadryl for the following few days, just to be on the safe side.

And, well he is just fine. AND he has had benadrly many more times. Darn food allergies. Oh, and he will be 2 on Monday if that helps.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
5babyz4me
Registered Users

Benedryl is the only OTC I keep in my cabinet. I have to for food allergies but I do use it when allergies are just making them miserable. I think Dr. Sears has a dosage recommendation chart on his website for Benedryl. But I NEVER give my kids a full dose even of children's Benedryl. I can take 3/4 tsp of Children's Benedryl if it's needed and it totally takes away my allergies. The only time I give a full dose is if there is potential for reaction to food. Otherwise, all of my children get less then 1 tsp (depending on their age.)

I would try the saline drops on your baby first. If that doesn't work then I would think about 1/4 of a tsp would be fine to help relieve the stuffiness. If you give the Benedryl and it does no good, then you are dealing with a cold.

wife to Chris (13 years)
mom of Jenny(10), Josh(8), Ally(7), Andrew(4), Josiah(2), Ashley (1), Baby Bean EDD May 2010
5babyz4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly I wouldn't. I don't believe giving kids cough syrups or decongestants is a good thing, I think it suppresses the body's natural way of getting things out, and that the symptoms are there for a reason, even if they're pesky. For congestion I always do a drop of saline in each nose, wait 5 minutes, then suction. It gets bad for us too because if he's congested he can't nurse at night then he scream because he can't nurse, because he can't breathe while he's nursing. But usually 5 minutes and I can clear it up enough that he sleeps a bit better. Humidifiers help too.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
uoducks
Registered Users

i think it may be the start of cold season, cause I just came down with one.

I wouldn't use benedryl. I myself get the "benadryl hangover" the next day, that stuff is like a drug! I've seen a 2.5 yr old on benadryl and she was groggy, grey circles under eyes..and did not look good at all.

Saline nose drops and humidifier are the recommended tools to use for stuffy nose. You could also use the nasal aspirator thing too (rubber thing you use to suck out snot).
good luck

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Environmental allergies are not common in children that young. I would not use the Benedryl unless I knew it was an allergy. Try propping him up so he can drain and try the saline drops.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote