Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Seattle Transportation

My dh, myself, and ds (14 months) are going to seattle for a week. Since we will be flying, we will not have his carseat with us. So I am trying to figure out how we will get around town. I am thinking cabs are out (no car seat). Since it cost so much $$ to check bags, we will already be taking a pack and play (hotel said they wont provide a crib), and we will be changing hotels twice, I need to figure this all out. Traveling sucks!!!

oh and any ideas on how to keep a 14 monther occupied during 5 hours of flight and a 2 hour layover are welcomed!!

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Seattle Transportation

you could always go buy a $40 Scenera from a Walmart (good luck finding one of those) and just donate it when you're done. Or see if there's a local mama that would let you borrow one.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my main concern is from the airport to the hotel...
Old 10-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

I would NOT rent a car seat from the rental car companies there. They are OUT OF DATE and unsafe! {We have flown in and out of SeaTac way too many times}. We also lived there for 2 years... we may have to move back. {that is a whole other thread though}

If you don't want to take the pack and play,and/or want to rent a car seat, try contacting Birth & Beyond in Seattle. The owner is AWESOME!!! Here is the website with telephone number.. www.birthandbeyond.com .

Are you visiting relatives or just vacationing? If you are visiting relatives, maybe they can go by and pick up the car seat for you and have it at the airport when you arrive. If you are vacationing and don't know anyone.. I would take the car seat and buy a pack & play there or rent one. We lost our pack & play on one of the transportation buses at the airport.

Good Luck and have a safe trip!
Old 10-03-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
tasbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you'll be traveling around in Seattle much, what about just bringing your carseat on the plane? I'm assuming that you're not buying your little one a ticket, but if there are empty seats you should still be able to use one for your DS. If not, you can either check it at the gate or put it in the overhead if it will fit.

Where are you staying and what will you be doing in Seattle? You can probably get a shuttle from the airport to your hotel, depending how far it is. There is also public transportation, but it really depends on if you'll actually be in Seattle or if you'll be somewhere else in the outskirts.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
jazter
Registered Users
seller

I bought my 14mo child a seat for a 1 hour flight because there is no way he was going to stay on our laps for an hour. With my kid, I would never consider flying 5 hours without him strapped in a seat. We would have had to sit on him and you can't do that and stay strapped in yourself ; ) Once he was standing and walking around hanging onto furniture, the days of flying without a seat were over. When he WANTS to be there, he's happy on our laps at most 15 minutes or so. He was in his carseat and we fed him on take off and landing, gave him little manipulative toys to play with (and a lot of them). Nothing round that will roll away down the aisle or under the seats. Daddy's Blackberry was a huge hit. Novel stuff, stuff he's never seen is key. If we were lucky, he fell asleep. If the seat belt sign went off, we'd walk him or bounce him up and down the aisles. Some plane lavs have changing tables, some don't. You may need to change him on the galley floor. Or on your laps (which doesn't go well with the neighbors).

We've always brought our own carseat, checked at the gate or used on the plane. It's just easier that way. Some shuttle services have seats, I know the Marriott Residence Inn had seats for their vans, but that was a courtesy around the popular spots van. A rental carseat will almost be guaranteed to be nasty or defective and I've heard they are happy to rent out seats they can't actually produce sometimes. You can also buy bags to carry seats in so they don't get dirty or ripped if checked as baggage. They don't always have the bags to put your seat in that they say they do.

The layover, I would let my child runrunrunrun, in the hopes he might get tired and sleep on the plane. Maybe find a deserted gate not too far from your gate so you won't be tripping over people and their baggage? We also brought a cheap foldable stroller for the airports - he was easier to deal with strapped in when we had to move quickly. Or a nice wrap or carrier. Strollers can be gate-checked and you need to get the paperwork/sticky tags, etc taken care off before you get on the plane.

Good luck.
jazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for all the advice. unfortunetly, dh's company is paying for our tickets and the trip itself. they are unwilling to pay for ds tickets, since he technically can fly free. hopefully northwest will let us check his carseat, and not charge us an arm and a leg to do so especially since we have 3 bags and a stroller to check, and that is expensive in itself.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
jazter
Registered Users
seller

The stroller should be able to be gate-checked for free and should not count against your checked luggage, as can the carseat. In fact, you might want to gate-check the seat instead of checking it with your luggage anyway. If you're lucky, the flight(s) won't be full and you can strap your seat in and then your little one. If you're not lucky, then your seat won't go astray if your luggage does between flights since you can ask the crew at the gate where your seat is and not just assume it's been sent on. I think that's how it works between connecting flights, but you should check.

We've had our checked seat not make it onto the plane before even though our checked luggage did. Luckily we were at our home airport and our car in the parking lot had a seat in it, or else I'm not certain how we could have gotten our child home safely and legally without trying to find a rental seat/car to get home which would have been a serious pain and an expense, esp since it was 10:30 at night. The airline did not care that they'd miss-placed our carseat and that we might not have a way to get our child to our destination safely. The car seat showed up the next day. I know it's a serious pain to carry the seat around, but the bag can help with that.
jazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #9
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Where exactly are you going in Seattle. I am originally from Sea Tac/Des Moines area (lived literally 2 miles from the airport). I have also lived in Seattle (U of W) among other places. My whole family is from there or around there.

I would first check out the Shuttle Bus option. There are many shuttle buses that go to and from airports, even to downtown seattle from the airport. I would honestly try to avoid the bus system. I only rode the bus when a student at the U of W. I would not feel completely safe riding one with my kids from SeaTac to downtown. The last time I actually rode a bus around that area was when I was 15 years old (19 years ago). Even then, I wasn't completely comfortable and maybe I was uncomfortable because I was so young. Perhaps it has changed. The bus system was a little confusing. Also, you don't want to be stuck at the bus stop in the rain and the chances of the happening in Seattle are pretty high. A lot of the bus stops are covered.

First choice - Rent a car. It will be expensive, though. Parking will be really expensive in downtown Seattle, though. Renting a car for a week would also cost you a pretty penny. This would cost you around $200 more during your trip.

Second choice - Shuttle. Pretty inexpensive. If money was a factor, I would probably go this route.

Last choice - Bus.

I think there is a Bus station right in front of the baggage claim. If you find out exactly which bus goes directly or pretty close to your hotel, that could work. I would hate to see you having to transfer. You wouldn't want to do that because you could be waiting for a while.

Last edited by ladylee; 10-04-2008 at 10:53 PM.
ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote