Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Need some PL help please!!

DD is 22 mos and very interested in pling. the problem? She doesn't understand the urge. How do I get her to?

She doesn't care if she's wet AT ALL. I put her in panties and I figured she'd come get me when wet, but nope. I looked over a bit later and she was sopping wet- didn't care a bit. Will I be able to do this if she doesn't care or should I just wait? I know if I could just get her to understand she'd do it fine- she's so smart, but I don't know how to get there!

Advertisement

athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #2
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need some PL help please!!

bummer, no help
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
mommytaylor
Banned
seller

DS is a lot younger at 10 months, but he doesn't mind being wet most of the time as we'd mostly done prefolds before and those aren't condusive to feeling dry anyway. His inspiration is pleasing mama and the praise. Whenever we go to the potty he says "goo ba" for "good boy" Now he whines when he has to pee and gets this look of fear at not being able to be a "good boy" when he has to pee.

I'd suggest writing down every time she gets wet to get an idea of how often she's wetting. Then, put her on the potty every X minutes/hours based on her schedule. It'll take a bit of work (what doesn't though?) but she will likely begin to associate peeing with the potty. It might help bridge the gap of understanding without having to conquer the harder task of making her dislike being wet
mommytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:06 AM   #4
wrightmommy
Registered Users

Have you looked into ECing? That might help too.
wrightmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:10 AM   #5
honeybuns
Registered Users
seller

well mine showed no interested until my daycare kids would go on the potty. now hes all about it not that he goes every-time and if i take his dipe off hell hold it until i put his dipe back on. so hes somewhat ready i think when they start holding it through the night or stay dry for long periods of times they are ready also mine will tell me when hes pooped right away if she shows no signs i wouldnt try it may just stress you out
Old 10-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD sounds like yours (except for the being interested part, lol). She will come in and sit (diapered) on her potty when I go to the bathroom, but nothing ever happens. It's just a novel imitation thing to do for her. She's in coverless prefolds most of the time and doesn't care at all about being wet. I tried ECing multiple times (she never gave any cues or signals or anything), I tried writing down her schedule (or lack thereof), I read Diaper Free Before Three, etc. Nothing "worked." I gave up. I still talk about it every so often w/ her, but not like I used to. I figure that I'll revisit it when she's 4. Diapers "work" for us for now and I'm not going to rush into something that's going to take months and months. I've come to accept that she may very well be in diapers until she's 4 or 5 or older. I'm OK with that. I don't have daycare as a "resource" to help her learn (w/ peer pressure and trained teachers and whatnot) so I think that's part of the reason she will be late.

But a few months ago, I was very frustrated. I'd heard that cloth diapers make PLing easier. I'd also heard that girls are easier. Mom trained me and my sisters by the time we were 18 months. So all those combined, I thought that surely DD would be completely PL'd by the time she was 2. We're two months away from that "goal" and it is SO not happening. Oh well.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #7
viettasgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think most people have an unrealistic expectation that a child will PL around the age of 2. Maybe, but I think 3 is a more reasonable guess. And I think if a child is really unaffected by being wet and doesn't even notice it, they are probably not ready to start PL yet. I would just let her sit on the potty when she wants and feed that initial interest without going gung-ho with panties and all that. My dd seemed totally unready and then totally out of the blue just "got it" and started going all on her own after I put her in panties to air out a nasty diaper rash. She was accident free for weeks. But now we're two months into it and she's having accidents left and right. She understands how it all works but sometimes chooses to keep playing or whatever rather than go pee.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
JaeCicc
Registered Users

By 21 months my son was definitely interested in pottying and would sometimes coem and get us when he was wet or dirty. This is what we did. We spent three days around the house learning about going potty by wearing undies and pants. (He showed more of a reaction when he was wearing pants because the pee would run down his legs as there's a lot more sensation involved in that rather than just peeing on the floor. It's also less messy.) So he was in undies and pants for three days and I would take him to the potty about once an hour. For three days he peed all over himself and never in the potty. On the last evening he peed in the potty twice, so I thought, "ah-ha! He's finally figured out *how* to pee." so I decided we'd keep it up the next day too. The next day he peed on himself all morning and we so we decided to quit and that he wasn't ready. We stopped for three days, totally back in diapers. After the diapered weekend, I was calm again, and decided we'd go back to what we were doing initially, which was just sitting him on the potty a few times a day. The first time we put him on the potty he peed and we were on a roll. It's now a month later and we've never had a day with more than two accidents. He's still using diapers for sleeping and nighttime and we're working on public restrooms. Right now, he "tries" everytime I put him on the potty and everyday is getting better about letting me know when he needs to go. I don't know if that helps you or not, but I really think that our three days of undies/pants helped him to learn the feeling of needing to pee and it just takes a little time and effort for them to understand how their body works. good luck!
JaeCicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dd did that too. We started PLing with naked time. As in, basically naked for the first week at home and no undies or trainers, just pants or a skirt when we had to go out. And little pressure. Pressure or tons of attention stressed dd out. But for the undies bit, we had to go naked, and then after a week and a half of naked or just dresses/pants, she started asking for underwear, and has been pretty good about keeping them dry

ETA: We tried this a couple months ago but would put her in diapers for outings and when friends came over, and she just prefered peeing whenever in the diapers and undies were no different. So when she turned 3, we said you're a big girl, you know how to use the potty so no more diapers, and that was it! She had two more diapers with dh that evening and that was it, no more diapers. She would have an accident first thing in the morning for the first two days, and then got into the potty groove. We kept her diaper-free even at night, with a fleece blanket under her, with the potty by her bed, and she's dry at night about 40% of the time and getting better!
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!

Last edited by dragondance; 10-06-2008 at 09:23 PM.
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote