View Poll Results: Would/Did you feed meat at 7 months?
Yes - I have/would 4 36.36%
No - But I think it's okay 2 18.18%
Never 5 45.45%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
PJfunnybunny
Registered Users

Did you give meat at 7mos?

I am watching a friend's 7 month old son. I noticed last week that his BMs weren't normal.. they were stringy and mucousy, and looked like it could have been diarrhea. When I told her she said she started him on meat (she also feeds him store bought baby food - I make all of mine myself). My son is only 6 months... and I don't plan on introducing meat for... a LONG time! What do you think? Is meat okay for 7 months??

Advertisement

PJfunnybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you give meat at 7mos?

My first DD started solids at 4 months, and as soon as we did all the single fruits/veggies I started on the meats and the "blends". She never had a problem. So I voted yes.

My second DD had texture issues and wouldn't eat the meats.

My DS just started solids last week, but we are giving him whatever he wants to eat.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Ashley
Registered Users
seller

Re: Did you give meat at 7mos?

Full term babies have enough iron stores from mom until around age 4-6 months (or doubled birth weight.) It's usually around this age that many people start offering the iron-fortified cereals to help with the depleted iron stores. Apparently breast milk is lower in iron than fortified formula, but its iron is used more efficiently by baby.

It is usually around 7-8 months that doctors recommend meats or other protein sources for iron and protein needs of the developing brains.

I started giving my DD home cooked organic pureed chicken around 7.5 months and am also giving her soft tofu, egg yolks and whole fat cow's yogurt to ensure she's getting enough iron and protein in addition to breast milk. (She's not a big eater yet at all though and definitely prefers nursing over solids!)

I think it's quite "normal" to give the 7 month old meats now as long as they're tolerated and enjoyed by the baby.

I would assume an educated vegetarian would offer their baby non-meat protein sources around the same age to meet the crucial dietary needs too.

Hope this helps!
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote