Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #21
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Failure to thrive

I agree, stick with the pumping too. I didn't get much at first either, and after several more weeks I was pumping at least 4-6 oz at a time.

Advertisement

CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #22
ColtonsMama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Awww...I'm so sorry! Your story is so inspirational, and I know I'm a total stranger, but I had to tell you how impressive your strength and determination is.

Also...not sure if this will help at all, but my sis had a "lazy" nurser too, and she accidentally dicovered that nursing in the shower helped keep her lo awake. She obviously couldn't shower at every feeding but it helped her get one really good nursing in per day. Might be worth a try!

Best of luck to you, mama!
ColtonsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #23
aj_18
Registered Users
seller

You can also look into ways to boost your milk output ie oatmeal,domperidone,fenugreek etc. Pumping and drinking lots and lots of water. My first one was really slow to put on weight too but my second one not so much. Was your daughter jaundiced? My first one was and again it was part of the problem.
aj_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #24
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You can do it!

There is something that fortifies BM and adds calories to it that they use in the hospital. Maybe ask your dr about that? You might be able to add it to your EBM.

Good luck!
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #25
Heather81
Registered Users

My Mood:

I haven't tried nursing in the shower but I often nurse her in the tub. She just doesn't suck effectively the past 2 days. Im an instant paci.

Im taking fenugreek, more milk plus, eating LOTS of oatmeal, pumping often and had a beer (normally that boosts my supply by the morning).

My midwife said she had a slight yellow color a few days after birth but it was very mild. I didnt even notice it and we arent 100% sure she was yellow at all. Even the midwife said that. Afterall, she was WEARING yellow lol.

I am determined. I will NOT give up. I think that's why this is so hard for me. If I could bring myself to just give in and WANT to give in then this wouldn't be an issue. The fact is though, I do NOT WANT TO! I want this to work out so bad that im willing to go without sleep..without showers, without me time, without anything. My world revolves around breast feeding.

I hate that I feel out of control. That if this doesn't work out, my milk dries up (even with all my work), there's nothign I can do about it. That doesn't make me feel better. It makes me feel worse.

When I pump, all of a sudden my left side isn't responding to the pump. The right side is only getting about 1/4 ounce each time.

Im gonna have DH set the alarm clock for me so I can wake every 2 hours to pump as well. Whatever it takes.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #26
mom2piddle
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtonsMama View Post
Awww...I'm so sorry! Your story is so inspirational, and I know I'm a total stranger, but I had to tell you how impressive your strength and determination is.

Also...not sure if this will help at all, but my sis had a "lazy" nurser too, and she accidentally dicovered that nursing in the shower helped keep her lo awake. She obviously couldn't shower at every feeding but it helped her get one really good nursing in per day. Might be worth a try!

Best of luck to you, mama!
I've also heard that it is good in stressful times like this to try nursing in the tub/shower....It relaxs the mama and that helps the milk to flow...I'm not sure if it will help or not but if I pump out in the living room for example I get close to nothing....If I pump in the teeny tiny powder room/ half bath that I have I can almost fill a 4 oz bottle everytime and I rarely pump...I've read that sometimes small spaces help! I know it may be hard for you with a toddler under foot but if you have help you may want to give it a try....there is no distraction, no clock, no one but you and the pump and a magazine/book if you have a close counter!

As far as supplementing goes...if formula makes your DD sick you may want to try goat's milk..I've heard it is closer to human milk....you could add a bit of water to make it thinner or leave it as is...a friend of mine's family from a foreign country recommended it to give to her DD because my friend can't BF due to meds...they said formula is rarely used there but a lot of the elders recommend goats milk....I believe it is high in fat as well which may help with the weight gain.....hang in there....we're all here for you!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #27
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

mama......can you pump and feed it to her in a bottle?

Lots of WOOLIES for sale, knit, crochet, shorties and longies
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:09 PM   #28
jdames
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope things get better.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #29
cupcakesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i know its next to impossible not to stress about this situation, but the stress of trying to get milk may actually be hindering the production of milk.

Although I am not sure how you can stop the stress cycle, I could not imagine being in your shoes. Keep it up!
#2 surprise due in Nov 2014
cupcakesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:27 PM   #30
Heather81
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just pumped again. This time milk came out of my left side. I got a 1/4 ounce on the left and 1/2 ounce on the right. That means both sides gave me 1/4 ounce more then the last time. That's a start!

I've taken 15 fenugreek today, and 2 doses of more milk plus. I also had a large bowl of oatmeal, and a beer.

DH is supporting me and willing to help me through the night. The plan is to set the alarm to go off every 2 hours so I can nurse her at the breast with the SNS, and then pump afterward.

While this means neither of us will be getting much (if any) rest, it's worth it. Haylie deserves the best and I am gonna do what I have to do to give that to her.

Im willing to bet that if I pump every 2 hours, around the clock...for a few days, that I wont need the formula at all. I should be able to suppliment her with my own milk, and then eventually not suppliment at all!