Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2006, 08:24 PM   #21
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Re: Beyond infancy breastfeeding ???

Great replies everyone! I'm so ashamed to say that I used to think that if they can talk they shouldn't nurse anymore. Now I have no idea on earth why I thought that? Maybe just because its something I heard? I read a great book "The Breastfeeding Cafe" by Barbara Behrmann (sp?) that really opened my eyes. Its a super easy read, broken into lots of stories of other women from other cultures and talks about how America's formula manufacturing affected people's veiws on BFing etc, HIGHLY recommend the book. My take on this now I guess is "why not?", I more ask myself why would it be wrong for a toddler to nurse? Maybe because America highly sexualizes womens breasts? If we see nursing as natural, right, and good, well why would there be an arbitrary age at which babies must stop? They DO eventually stop on their own. lol I once heard that the "rule" about weaning at age one is because they used to use glass bottles back then and around age one is when babies start to walk, so a toddler running around with a glass bottle would be usafe, therefore the recommendation to wean. Anyway, just a few of my thoughts. Its really a mindset/ eyeopener to think outside of society's recommendations like you are doing. Kudos to you!

Advertisement

Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #22
dessismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is so great that you have decided to nurse your baby and you want to find out as much as possible about extended nursing!!

When I had my first baby I planned on nursing for a year. But I could not quit at a year... he really needed the closeness and the nutrition. My mom would call me every day and ask me whether I had weaned. It was horrible!! We did wean when I got pregnant with my second baby, 26 months after my firstborn was born. I have to say that he was not entirely ready but the pressure of all my relatives and my doctor was immense.

When my daughter was born, I tried to see if I could get him to go back but it was too late by then... I nursed my DD for 37 months. My milk supply crashed when I got pregnant again and I begged her to keep going but she lost interest and decided she was too big to nurse. I was frankly sad, and we went through a rough time with her in terms of illness and behavior. I think she would have been better off being calmed and kept healthy by the breast!!

I really hope to go as long as I can this time. I will offer if needed. I have offered a lot when all my babies striked at 7-8 months, I think it is so important for their health to get all the antibodies from mom. In some sense, this is even more important in toddlerhood than when they are newborns. Also, study after study shows that the longer a baby is nursed, the less likely they are to have a weight problem and a number of different diseases.

My oldest DD is adopted and joined us as a toddler, and I can tell you it is a lot harder to parent a toddler/preschooler without nursing.

Best of luck figuring out what is the best plan for your family!
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:09 PM   #23
camomof5
Banned
seller

I plan to try to make it to 1 year I really am considering 2 years, I am now interested in learning more too about toddler BFing. Thanks for such a wonderful topic
camomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:23 PM   #24
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camomof5 View Post
I plan to try to make it to 1 year I really am considering 2 years, I am now interested in learning more too about toddler BFing. Thanks for such a wonderful topic
No problem... I love hearing all the mama stories... it makes me happy but sad too, because I didn't continue and figure out a way to nurse my son. I wish I had known then what I know now.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:17 PM   #25
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, before I had my son, I thought he would wean at 6 mo. Now, he is almost 26months old and he still nurses several times a day. It is wonderful! We have very little tantrums, and he is sooooo healthy. It is a VERY different experience nursing now than before when he was younger. I love it; he loves it; that's what counts!

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #26
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

I just wanted to agree with a pp, some of the benefits of nursing are whats called "dose response" meaning that the more "doses" =milk that they get, the more benefits - immunity, etc. Some of these benefits are lifetime, obesity reduced rate, resistance to other diseases, etc, so the more mama milk you give your baby, the better you are building that foundation for lifetime. OH, and this is a biggie too that I wish more people talked about - the longer you nurse, the lower your rate of getting certain cancers goes. Its directly related to how long you nurse - Lucy is being wiggly right now so I need to go take care of her, but there are specific statistics to prove these things. Check out the LLL website, I'm sure they have them if someone is interested in specifics.
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:50 PM   #27
haleysmom
Registered Users
seller

I'm not extended nursing yet but here are some links you can learn from, they helped me understand!

http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

http://parenting.ivillage.com/tp/tpw...,,40lb,00.html

Hope this helps!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:15 PM   #28
amhmtq
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by marelle4381 View Post
I'm going to breastfeed my next baby exclusively (now that I know more about LLL and such and have somewhere to go for help). Anyway my question is. Why would/do you breastfeed past the age of 2? I don't know how I feel about extended nursing past the age of 2 (personal reasons) but I'd reconsider if maybe I was more educated. Please do not flame me for trying to find out reasons to nurse past the age of two, three, or four years old. I'm serious... I'd like to learn more about it and understand where others are coming from. I'd like to learn more but not just "bonding" because I feel bonded with my son now who doesn't nurse. I'm trying to find out different reasons.
This is a great link and it's what kept me nursing past a year (and eventually until my son weaned at 3 years). Of course, there are the emotional reasons, but I kind of have a scientific mind and a medical background, so I like to know that side of things too.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/index.html
Old 12-04-2006, 04:26 PM   #29
weddell
Registered Users
seller

My only child so far is 15 months and still nursing. Like many of you, I have to confess that before dd, I thought nursing beyond one year was weird. Now I couldn't imagine not nursing her. She really isn't ready to wean. Beyond the regular health benefits, we have discovered that dd has a few food allergies (inherited from her daddy). She is allergic to milk, eggs, and sesame. I'm a vegetarian and so we rarely have meat in the house. Dh is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and fish. With all these foods being avoided in our house, I think it is important to keep breastfeeding to fill in any gaps in her nutrition. She eats no dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and very little meat, so her sources of protein and fat are somewhat limited. Nursing makes sure she is getting those things. Hopefully she will grow out of the milk and egg allergies (she will be retested next summer) and that will help.

Behavior-wise, I also find that when she is frustrated or overwhelmed, nursing for a few minutes alone with me, really calms her and turns her mood right around. She can be mad at everything and everyone and just a little nursing turns her into a laughing, happy toddler. I don't know what I would do with her at those times if I weren't nursing.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:11 AM   #30
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the nutrition is still there, especialy if theyre not too keen on solids, or are sick and cant keeop much down, you dont need to pump them full of sugar or fake sugar junk, and stuff, ya know? and comfort, and just being close, ummm..i dunno, lol! my son is 21 months and im still nirsing, and im pregnant, i dont know how tandem will be with him, hopefuly okay once he realizes the babys eating and not just playing with him and joking like daddy does LOL
but he will get aggrivated if his dad plays with my other one and acts like hes nuursing while our on is, he will smack him in the face :sigh:
i was nursed until almost 4 and my mom o nly weaned me because soe crazy chick called CPS and said my mom nursed me instead of feeding me 'real' milk and i still wanted to, i did it because i liked her milk, and straight cows milk did and still does make me sick, plus well..human milk isnt made for another species like cows milk is, its made for people, ya know? so its easier on their tummies and all, as well
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote