Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:
friend eating fish while pregnant

okay i'm not really sure what to say to her. i had discussed with her a few weeks ago how LOTS of different fish are dangerous to eat while pg. then i was talking to her mom the other day and her mom was all proud b/c she told her how she was going to start eating healthier b/c of the pg and how she was going to eat a diet rich in fish. she hasn't said anything to me about how she was going to be eating tons of fish, probably b/c of what i told her. but what is she thinking? and do i confront her about this, this could be very dangerous to the baby. i even explained in the early conversation how tuna is supposed to be limited. what do i do?

Advertisement

myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

Re: friend eating fish while pregnant

Quote:
Originally Posted by myajdw
okay i'm not really sure what to say to her. i had discussed with her a few weeks ago how LOTS of different fish are dangerous to eat while pg. then i was talking to her mom the other day and her mom was all proud b/c she told her how she was going to start eating healthier b/c of the pg and how she was going to eat a diet rich in fish. she hasn't said anything to me about how she was going to be eating tons of fish, probably b/c of what i told her. but what is she thinking? and do i confront her about this, this could be very dangerous to the baby. i even explained in the early conversation how tuna is supposed to be limited. what do i do?
Well, I don't know. All fish is not bad for pregnancy. The fatty acids in some fish are helpful for baby's brains to develop.

Maybe print out a chart of what fish is ok and what fish isn't and give it to her. She should not in any way be eating tuna. If I can find a chart, I'll come back and post it for you.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

that would be a good idea. she lives in florida and i guess made the comment to her mom how you just haven't had fish until you've had it there. so it sounds to me like a lot of it is NOT freshwater. so she could be eating the worst of it. after her mom told me that she was really proud of her for making such a decision i got angry and i said "you know what i've already talked to her about this before she made this decision and you CAN'T do this it's dangerous" and her mom just changed the topic like she didn't believe me or something. so i'm very distraught. a chart would be helpful though, i could just mail that to her and never say anything else about it. that would be enough and if she still doesn't want to listen i guess there's not really anything i can do about it.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:45 PM   #4
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
seller

Here is a website.....it's NOT a goverment website (as a matter of fact it is challenging the FDA recommendations for fish consumption).....that list all of the fish that should be avoided even beyond the "big" four. It also gives a more realistic serving suggestion. This website ought to help you help her understand that fish, while helpful in baby's development, needs to be taken seriously.
http://www.mercola.com/2001/apr/25/mercury_fish.htm
Old 05-19-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks so much mama! hopefully she'll listen and then i can stop worrying....about that part anyhow. i love her to death but her as a mama is questionable, while her boyfriend as a daddy just shouldn't happen.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
thanks so much mama! hopefully she'll listen and then i can stop worrying....about that part anyhow. i love her to death but her as a mama is questionable, while her boyfriend as a daddy just shouldn't happen.
That's not good and the fact that she lives in FL means that she needs to be extra careful. There is no better fish then that in FL but you're only pg for 9 months and you could ruin a child forever. JMO
I think you're doing a good thing!! Hopefully, she'll listen.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:04 PM   #7
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

it's just really bothersome to me that her and i talked about it before she ever even decided to do this (b/c i'm pg too and i was telling her how i want swordfish SOOO bad right now but can't eat it b/c it could harm the baby and then explained why and how there's a lot of fish you cannot eat while pg) anyhow the fact that we discussed it and then she decides to eat a diet rich in fish, it's just odd.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:15 PM   #8
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

mmmm yummy, i'm glad tilapia is on the list. that's one that i wasn't sure of! i eat fish sticks and that's about it lol.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:32 PM   #9
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

Quote:
that would be a good idea. she lives in florida and i guess made the comment to her mom how you just haven't had fish until you've had it there. so it sounds to me like a lot of it is NOT freshwater. so she could be eating the worst of it. after her mom told me that she was really proud of her for making such a decision i got angry and i said "you know what i've already talked to her about this before she made this decision and you CAN'T do this it's dangerous" and her mom just changed the topic like she didn't believe me or something. so i'm very distraught. a chart would be helpful though, i could just mail that to her and never say anything else about it. that would be enough and if she still doesn't want to listen i guess there's not really anything i can do about it.

Now where is the "I am going to throw up" smilie?? The fish down here is NASTY compared to the Cape. Have you explained heavy metals and brain damage to her? If I do remember correctly it is fatty fish that one has to be wary of.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:43 PM   #10
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

hehe i live in TX, have never been to FL but personally i kinda thought that the fish would be yuck! now the fish i loved was when we were stationed in okinawa japan, that was some yummy stuff!!!
yes i've explained the mercury to her and all that BEFORE she made this insane decision, i just don't understand. it seems odd to me that after that explanation she would then go make such a crazy decision! i went to the link that was provided earlier and have written her a letter (i'm out of printer ink) on what fish is safe all the time, which is safe once a month and which should not be touched then gave her the website to go to. hopefully she listens, considering she has not even told me of this decision she obviously knows i would lecture her. so hopefully i hear from her mom that's she's listened to me!